X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon
    • Sep 2024

A real gem from R4 - Lear and Giorgio

May I recommend this (from R4) if any of you have three quarters of an hour to spare?

The friendship between the writer and illustrator Edward Lear and his Greek manservant.

One of the most warm, enjoyable, decent, well-judged, humourous, interesting and brilliantly-scripted radio features I've ever heard. An absolute joy from start to finish - made even richer with the absolutely aptly selected quotes from Lear's comic genius.

I defy anyone to listen and not to feel much better for having done so, so do trust me on this one!

bws Simon
  • amateur51

It was a fair old stab, I agree Simon, but Lear is much more complex and darker than we often imagine.

His epilepsy was a lifelong torment and he frequently had dozens of seizures a day. He also had many love affairs, unspoken, unrequited and unresolved, projections of his own self-loathing, always hopeful and yet rarely even noted by the other party, most of whom were men. He was a good friend to those whom he judged safe to open himself to and, of course, to children

I attended this very different performance in Bristol in 2000 - the programme mentioned is full of original material and a complete delight.

Comment

Working...
    X