Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

#13 Richard Tarleton, you offered Damon Runyon's ' A Piece of Pie', which admittedly has nothing much to do with Christmas, except that it concerns unbelievable overeating, but it is just about the most funny story I have ever read. '1066 And All That' might win by a short head, but only because I fell off the sofa in a laughing fit at the description of the challenge of the pie and anyway, great masterpieces do not devour each other, there is room in the pantheon of humour for both.

From ' A Piece of Pie':

Oh B****R, I loaned my copy to someone and dont have it at hand to quote. But you know who I'm talking about. It's Miss Violet Schlumberger, not at all a bad looking Judy, once they wedge her through the restaurant doorway, but with enough chins to make a fire escape and a laugh that whipped the cream topping off a dessert at forty yards and greatly discomfits one [someone] who is intent on devouring the same.

Oh, this is a classic bit of fun, remind us of the setting in Mindy's restaurant, as Joel Duffle and Violet Schlumberger get down to a serious menu. Nicely Nicely Jones is on hand to advise. I recall a lot of clams, a serious amount of soup and a very large turkey which is not stuffed, and this causes a bravura bit of game play. Having already devoured enough food to cause unconsciousness in any normal mortal, the main course is brought on and Miss Schlumberger notes querulously that there is no stuffing. This sends a tremor of unease through the Duffle camp, because a Judy who can put away that much in the way of hors'd'oeuvre [sorry, I cant spell that] and then demand stuffing is a serious contender.

And then, eventually, they are neck and neck, and the stewards bring on the pie ...

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

The Dickens Christmas Stories as mentioned by Vinteuil are in my complete Dickens .
      The nice thing about the Hesperus volumes is that they also include the stories written by Dickens's collaborators (and which co-existed with the Dickens stories in magazines such as 'Household Words').

So you also get the stories written by Rosa Mulholland, Charles Allston Collins, Hesba Stretton, Walter Thornbury, Mrs Gascoyne, Elizabeth Gaskell, Andrew Halliday, Edmund Yates, Amelia Edwards, Henry Spicer, John Oxenford, Arthur Locker, Julia Cecilia Stretton, George Augustus Sala, Adelaide Anne Procter, Wilkie Collins, William Howitt, Harriet Parr, Eliza Lynn Linton, William Moy Thomas, Edmund Ollier, the Reverend James White, Harriet Martineau, Samuel Sidney, Eliza Griffiths, Edmund Saul Dixon, WH Wills, William Gaskell...

Comment

• amateur51

I had an inkling that Georges Simenon had 'covered' Christmas and lo!:

http://www.fictiondb.com/author/geor...s~120582~b.htm

Comment

• Angle
          • Dec 2010

And then there is THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS by Gogol which led to Rimsky's CHRISTMAS EVE and Tchaikovsky's THE TSARINA'S SLIPPERS, which might just be the same work as his VAKULA THE SMITH. Someone might know.

Comment

• AjAjAjH
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            I have from somewhere the Folio Book of Christmas Crime Stories which I dip into each year. A different Christie/Poirot, Marsh, Dexter, Allingham, James and the like. I would recommend it if you can find it.
            Yes a great read and I would also recommend Folio Book of Christmas Ghost Stories.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Angle View Post
              And then there is THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS by Gogol which led to Rimsky's CHRISTMAS EVE and Tchaikovsky's THE TSARINA'S SLIPPERS, which might just be the same work as his VAKULA THE SMITH. Someone might know.

?

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                I had an inkling that Georges Simenon had 'covered' Christmas and lo!:

http://www.fictiondb.com/author/geor...s~120582~b.htm

Got it 4th hand on Amazon Marketplace Ams.....really enjoying it although I'm saving the 2 Christmas stories - I'd forgotten how good, IMHO, Simenon was. Cheers.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  Got it 4th hand on Amazon Marketplace Ams.....really enjoying it although I'm saving the 2 Christmas stories - I'd forgotten how good, IMHO, Simenon was. Cheers.
                  C'est le pyjama du chat, n'est-ce pas?

I'm glad you're enjoying it

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

If anyone is looking for a great Christmas book for children, but suitable for all ages, 'The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey' by Susan Wojciechowski with wonderful illustrations by P.J.Lynch remains a big hit in this house though the kids are in their late teens these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X