X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ
    • Sep 2024

Enquirer (R4 Friday Play)

A welcome (if singular) return of the Friday Play is Enquirer, a topical angst-ridden elegy for newspaper journalism, drawn from interviews.

An investigation into the current crisis in newspapers - in the words of the journalists.

Some background info on the production here.

Russ
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Yes, indeed, many welcomes for the return of the Friday Play, BUT what a mess this one was!
    Just felt like a bunch of press cuttings with not a lot of thread or trajectory.

When you think how many stonking plays the BBC must have in archive, this one hardly merited a run out.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

I've been wondering if we should have a Radio Four board or sub-board.

Any views?

Comment

• Russ

It was a bit uneven, Dracs, and showed all the signs of being written by a committee, but I'm prepared to be enthusiastic about anything new at the moment! (cf Do3, which has just repeated Skyvers, and next week we'll hear Sunset again! Both good, but....)

Russ

Comment

• aeolium
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          I've been wondering if we should have a Radio Four board or sub-board.

Any views?
          Actually this board is supposedly for "the verbal arts on Radio 3 and elsewhere", kb, so there shouldn't be a problem about posting comments on R4 plays here.

I sometimes listen to drama on R4 but didn't catch up with this one.

Comment

• handsomefortune

i enjoyed 'enquirer' very much having discovered it by chance.

it was what it was....a series of snippets of interviews ....need it be a performance, and story, to be considered 'good'?

thanks for the background material russ - (how very thorough)!

personally, i could do with something similar about uk media journalism generally - (rather than the focus necessarily being on the written word and in newspapers, though this is where journalistic standards were once much higher and a decline is most clearly visible, and especially noticeable to all right now due to the leveson inquiry).

Comment

Working...
            X