X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

The Verb Friday 9 November

I was present at the recording of this at the Freethinking Festival at the Sage, Gatehead.

Ian McMillan presents Radio 3's 'Cabaret of the word' from the Free Thinking Festival in Gateshead. His guests include poets Tony Harrison and Don Paterson, musician Martin Longstaff (otherwise known as 'The Lake Poets'), flash fiction supremo Tania Hershman, and Granta editor Laura Barber.

Well worth a listen, IMV.

OG
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
    I was present at the recording of this at the Freethinking Festival at the Sage, Gatehead.

Ian McMillan presents Radio 3's 'Cabaret of the word' from the Free Thinking Festival in Gateshead. His guests include poets Tony Harrison and Don Paterson, musician Martin Longstaff (otherwise known as 'The Lake Poets'), flash fiction supremo Tania Hershman, and Granta editor Laura Barber.

Well worth a listen, IMV.

OG
    Many thanks for this recommendation. Are you a regular listener, Old Grumpy? How did you get to attend? I would be particularly interested to hear if you think that the programme can be appreciated more once it has been experienced live.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Many thanks for this recommendation. Are you a regular listener, Old Grumpy? How did you get to attend? I would be particularly interested to hear if you think that the programme can be appreciated more once it has been experienced live.
      I am not a regular listener to the Verb, but probably ought to be on the basis of this exploration! I simply applied for (free) tickets to the event when I became aware that it was to be part of the Radio 3 Free Thinking Festival at the Sage Gateshead. All the BBC radio recordings to which the public are admitted are listed here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/tickets/radio

In this particular case the tickets were issued through the Sage Gateshead website, but the event itself was listed on the BBC site.

I will only be able to answer your last question when I have heard the broadcast itself.

OG

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Just cannot stand MacMillan's professional Yorkshireman persona.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Just cannot stand MacMillan's professional Yorkshireman persona.
          Thank you so much for that very useful piece of information

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

And I speak as a Yorkshireman let me tell you. There - another piece of useful information.

Comment

• handsomefortune

i find mc'm's broadcasting style really grates too dracom.

he certainly doesn't strike me as a 'free thinker' that's for sure, but you can always count on him being patronising no matter what the subject.

Comment

Working...
              X