X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Peter Tinniswood

Joining in the silly season wood-fest - does anyone else remember the wonderful humour of Peter Tinniswood. A Touch of Daniel and I Didn't Know You Cared is my kind of humour to a T. Haven't read them for years so time for another read and a chortle on the train as I do so!
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

I 'eard that! Pardon?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I 'eard that! Pardon?
      Does tha know Carter - I fought through't First World War!

...and Robin Bailey's son Nick presents on FM!

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        ...and Robin Bailey's son Nick presents on FM!
        Ay...well...mmm, I never knew that. I came across the books long before the the TV adaptation and, like Wodehouse, the humour is in the prose rather than the situations so I was doubtful about the TV series but it was a triumph. Favourite line: Carter and Uncle Mort walk into a dimly lit pub, Carter comments on the gloom and Uncle Mort comes out with the priceless line: 'It's so you can't see the dust on the barmaid's cleavage'.
        Last edited by Petrushka; 09-09-12, 21:49. Reason: typo
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• amateur51

Lots of 'I Didn't Know You Cared' on youtube

Comedy Series, similar to Last of the Summer Wine, except darker humour, especially from Uncle Mort! Part 1 of "Aye... Well... Mm..."

Comment

• Mandryka

Yes, classic comedy. I was too young at the time to get all the humour, but the performances certainly registered with me. In real life, Robin Bailey was a stereotypically upper middle-class Englishman, so this role was quite a transformation for him.

Loved the Brigadier (Tales From A Long Room), too.

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
              Yes, classic comedy. I was too young at the time to get all the humour, but the performances certainly registered with me. In real life, Robin Bailey was a stereotypically upper middle-class Englishman, so this role was quite a transformation for him.

Loved the Brigadier (Tales From A Long Room), too.
              Tinniswood was a little like one of his own characters - a small,hirsute, Northern man smoking a foul pipe slightly too large for him....The Stirk of Stirk being my own favourite, sadly largely forgotten. I used to own 6 copies, given away & loaned over the years - now down to 1. If you ever come across it, snap it up.

Lovely thread by the way.

Random factoid? I dimly recall the actress who played Carters wife was actually married to Peter Tinniswood at the time.

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Lots of 'I Didn't Know You Cared' on youtube

Comedy Series, similar to Last of the Summer Wine, except darker humour, especially from Uncle Mort! Part 1 of "Aye... Well... Mm..."

I recently watched the first 2 series - taking a break for a while so that the cast changes in the 3rd and 4th don't come as too great a shock! A few months ago I also laughed my way through Uncle Mort's travels in various parts of the UK (repeated regularly on Radio 4 Extra).

Comment

Working...
                X