• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Ursula Wood - poet

Ursula Wood was born as Ursula Lock and began writing poetry in 1921, at the age of 10, publishing her first book of poems No Other Choice in 1941, followed by Fall of Leaf (1943).
    She first met Ralph Vaughan Williams in 1938, and eventually married him in 1953. He died in 1958, but Ursula published his biography 6 years later. She was honorary president of the RVW Society until her death. Even in her later years, she was influential, giving permission for the revival of the original version of A London Symphony, with certain stipulations of her own.
    However, Ursula did sometimes lead people astray, such as giving a friend of mine permission to arrange the Tallis Fantasia for symphonic wind band, only to change her mind shortly before he completed it.
  • Tapiola
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Ursula Wood was born as Ursula Lock and began writing poetry in 1921, at the age of 10, publishing her first book of poems No Other Choice in 1941, followed by Fall of Leaf (1943).
    She first met Ralph Vaughan Williams in 1938, and eventually married him in 1953. He died in 1958, but Ursula published his biography 6 years later. She was honorary president of the RVW Society until her death. Even in her later years, she was influential, giving permission for the revival of the original version of A London Symphony, with certain stipulations of her own.
    However, Ursula did sometimes lead people astray, such as giving a friend of mine permission to arrange the Tallis Fantasia for symphonic wind band, only to change her mind shortly before he completed it.
    With a name like hers, I hope she was never subject to crudities regarding her ablutions from castigaters in receipt of a little Latin...

Is the Pope a Catholic?

Comment

Working...
    X