X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Jun 2024

Sir John Keegan, military historian, has died

Sir John Keegan, who has died aged 78, achieved an international reputation as a military historian, then discovered a talent for writing rapid analyses of international crises as the defence editor of The Daily Telegraph.

Sir John Keegan, who has died aged 78, achieved an international reputation as a military historian, then discovered a talent for writing rapid analyses of international crises as the defence editor of The Daily Telegraph.

He is regarded as having unmasked the human face of war in his first book The Human Face of War

• vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... thanks for that, Ammy.

I've been a fan of his for a long time. I see I referred to him a couple of days ago on the Hollow Crown thread -

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    I can very much recommend John Keegan's The Face of Battle - A Study of Agincourt, Waterloo, and the Somme.

/ ... /

He is excellent on the psychology of what men actually experienced and how they really behaved in battle, as well as on the more traditional areas of strategy, tactics, logistics, etc.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I recently read his The First World War - unutterably grim tale brilliantly told, with wisdom and humanity. Thanks for the tip re The Face of Battle, v - a rare unfavourable review on Amazon is headed "Flawed by awful grammer" [sic]

Comment

Working...
      X