Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

I've just picked up in Oxfam, and am currently reading, McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy, for which I've been on the lookout since reading his second book, The Road to McCarthy. He was part-English, part-Irish - sadly, he died rather young - and goes in search of his roots by travelling in southern Ireland with the object of drinking in each pub he finds with the name McCarthy's. The tone is continually (but not continuously) one of sardonic or ironic humour, interlaced with wryly serious observations on some of the more appalling consequences of English rule. For example, coming across a Famine Pit, where 9,000 bodies lie, of those who died of the great potato famine. Much of it is rather like Bill Bryson, though their literary techniques differ. If any of the above appeals, I'd suggest seeking out either title.
    Last edited by kernelbogey; 05-08-12, 10:38. Reason: Bill Bryson - no relation of Rob Bryden!

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

'In Siberia' / Colin Thubron

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        That would have been one of my suggestions - absolutely wonderful & filled me with a longing to go to Persia/Iran. Another book I'd suggest, that crosses both your categories, is Eric Newby's Love & war in the Apennines, detailing his role in a commando landing in Italy, subsequent capture & imprisonment by the Italian army, & escape & travel throught the mountains, helped by numerous Italians on the way, including his future wife.

If you are interested in women travellers in the late 19th & Early 20th century (or even if you're not ) I'd suggest Travels in High Albania, by Edith Durham, a remarkable woman who became greatly respected by the people of the region. It was republished by Virago in the 70's or 80's - not sure if it's still in print, but well worth looking for.
        I got Eric Newby's Love & war in the Apennines the book you suggested. I'm already half way through and loving it.

Comment

Working...
        X