X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

Pinter's Betrayal

On R4 this afternoon (Sat 14/6/12). I could kick myself that I didn't see this at The Crucible last month.

I wonder how well the "reverse action" of this play will work on the radio?

Harold Pinter's acclaimed drama about a love affair and the intricate nature of deceit.
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    On R4 this afternoon (Sat 14/6/12). I could kick myself that I didn't see this at The Crucible last month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01kr71s
    I hope that the men's voices will be sufficiently different - looking forward to it

Comment

• prokkyshosty

Surely this is their second go at this? I seem to recall hearing a radio version of this in the mid 90s featuring Imogen Stubbs?!

No matter, it's one of my favorite plays... the effect is quite amazing.

Comment

• Northender

As it's by Pinter, one would expect a long pause between productions, yes?

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by prokkyshosty View Post
          Surely this is their second go at this? I seem to recall hearing a radio version of this in the mid 90s featuring Imogen Stubbs?!
          Didn't John Lennon write a very famous song about Ms Stubbs?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by prokkyshosty View Post
            And repeated on Radio 3 in 2005. One of the few archive recordings to get a repeat on R3 - for Pinter's 75th.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I thought it worked pretty well. I'd heard the earlier version.

Can't say that I find it a settling play. It triggers the more conservative parts of me. I'm not always happy when there are phrases in my mind like "the seventies - they were the start of the slippery slope". It asks questions about trust in people way beyond personal relationships. If they are like that there, what are they like generally? etc. There is also that flesh crawling thing about Pinter writing it about a part of his own life, ie what was he also doing when clandestine with Bakewell? Taking copious notes?

Having said as much, it is entertaining. The dialogue is well-observed, some humour can be found it and the time travel back and forth is a fascinating device that works well with intrigue.
              Last edited by Guest; 14-07-12, 17:42.

Comment

• prokkyshosty

I wish the new production well, but if the Imogen Stubbs version still exists, then it is by definition the finest radio version of Betrayal in existence. My feeling about Ms Stubbs is somewhat akin to how Vyvyan on the Young Ones used to feel about Felicity Kendall.

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                Didn't John Lennon write a very famous song about Ms Stubbs?
                Indeed, and it's a little known fact that "Nowhere Man" was written about her estranged husband, Trevor None.

Comment

• Mandryka

I saw the Sheffield production and it was excellent: it managed to bely the fact that the venue is too big for such an intimate play.

Can't share Prokkyhosty's enthusiasm for Imogen Stubbs, though, who always comes across (in real life) as the bluestocking from central casting; and her acting (and that 'little girl's voice') always leaves me cold.

Will give this a listen: seeing it in the theatre was the first time it had really 'worked' for me - I've seen the film (somewhat handicapped by Jeremy Irons's unsympathetic performance) and heard the previous radio production and not been convinced. But the Crucible production DID make me believe that this is grade A Pinter.

Comment

Working...
                  X