X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Book repairs: advice please

I've just received a second-hand hardback edition of The Complete Stories of VS Pritchett from an internet supplier, a thumping volume at 1,220 pages

It's in good condition except on closer inspection I find that some early non-important pages have been torn out thus releasing the text pages from the book cover spine It looks to me that the spine was originally glued to a piece of brown paper then other side of which was glued to the pages. I'm thinking of re-gluing them back together with a paper glue, something like Gloy, if it is still made.

Could anyone more experienced in this advise me please? Does my approach sound sensible or am I about to make a big mistake?

Many thanks in advance
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

First thing to consider:

What is the value of the book to you (combination of how much you paid for it and what 'use' you will get out of it). I would get a quote for the repair, add that to what you paid for the book. Worth it or not?

I have a couple of books on bookbinding, both suggesting forms of 'flour paste', e.g.

"A good paste for mending is made from a teaspoonful of ordinary flour, two teaspoonsful of cornflour, half a teaspoonful of alum and three ounces of water. These should be carefully mixed, breaking up all lumps, and then should be heated in a clean saucepan and stirred all the time with a wooden or bone spoon. The paste should boil for about five minutes but not too fast or it will burn and turn brown."

An unbeautiful solution would be to get some strong brown wrapping paper and make a complete cover for the book to hold the pages together while you're reading it.

Personally, I'd get a bookbinder to mend it, if not prohibitive
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Many thanks french frank

Alum?

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Amateur51, at the music library the head librarian had a pot of foul smelling glue, little pellets made from horses' hooves ! It was boiled and then spread on a sort of canvas on the spine of the score. As ff says, a job for professionals imo.

Comment

• Don Petter

A Pritt stick (or WHS equivalent) is non-messy to use and good for sticking paper. I use it all the time for making up CD booklets, etc.

(This assumes you are just sticking paper inserts, not repairing the outer casing as such!)

Comment

• PJPJ
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            I've just received a second-hand hardback edition of The Complete Stories of VS Pritchett from an internet supplier, a thumping volume at 1,220 pages

It's in good condition except on closer inspection I find that some early non-important pages have been torn out thus releasing the text pages from the book cover spine It looks to me that the spine was originally glued to a piece of brown paper then other side of which was glued to the pages. I'm thinking of re-gluing them back together with a paper glue, something like Gloy, if it is still made.

Could anyone more experienced in this advise me please? Does my approach sound sensible or am I about to make a big mistake?

Many thanks in advance
            PVC glue is commonly used in that sort of modern binding. Adult education book-binding and repair classes will start again in the middle of September - if you can find one local to you, ask one of the students to take it on as a project.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
              PVC glue is commonly used in that sort of modern binding.
              Or PVA?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Or PVA?
                Yes, PVC glue is usually a solvent - no good for sticking paper!

Comment

• PJPJ
                  • Nov 2010

brain's gone again....... I tidied away a little container of PVA only yesterday. Thanks for spotting that so quickly!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Many thanks in advance
                    Buy a Kindle and you don't have this problem.

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                      Adult education book-binding and repair classes will start again in the middle of September - if you can find one local to you, ask one of the students to take it on as a project.
                      Yes, a second hand bookseller should be able to fix that; I had a couple of books rebound at the local college - not cheap but beautifully done

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... or again. it might prove cheaper to buy another copy. Fr'instance, looking on abebooks.com I find -

The Complete Short Stories

V. S. Pritchett

Bookseller: Bookdonors CIC

(Selkirk, ., United Kingdom)
                        Quantity Available: 1

ISBN: 0701137126 / 0-7011-3712-6

Price: US$ 9.04
                        (£ 5.66)

Shipping:US$ 4.36
                        (£ 2.81)
                        Within United Kingdom
                        Book Description: Chatto & Windus 1990-11-19, 1990. Hardcover. Book Condition: Very Good. USED HARDBACK WITH DUST JACKET; VERY GOOD CONDITION; CLEAN TIGHT TEXT WITH NORMAL READING WEAR TO JACKET. Bookseller Inventory # BDSACF083H2-315

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

WITH DUST JACKET; VERY GOOD CONDITION; CLEAN TIGHT TEXT
                          For under a tenner all in ...

Comment

• amateur51

Cheers vints & french frank - that could well be the answer but shall have to wait til next Thursday when Mr Dunkin-Smiff makes a further deposit

Comment

• Flay
                              • Mar 2007

Why not buy the one suggested and re-sell yours on ebay? You might even make a small profit!
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X