X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1
    • Jun 2024

The Essay - The Darkest Hour

This has been an interesting series about insomnia. I liked the second episode in which literary critic and author John Sutherland considered the rich history of insomnia in literature from Macbeth to Heathcliffe. The observations on Dickens were fascinating. 2012 is the bicentenary of his birth so there should be a lot more of him soon on the wireless.

Literary critic and author John Sutherland explores the history of insomnia in literature.

Incidentally, there are 1088 pages to Bleak House. There are also links between insomnia, hypergraphia and temporal lobe epilepsy. Somewhere in these facts is the meaning of the universe.
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Why oh Why is the Essay not available as a podcast?! Its scheduling precludes regular listening for me, it would be ideal to have on the headphones...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• tony yyy

Caliban
      I believe one is allowed to record programmes for later listening. I often do this for The Essay. There was an interesting series a few weeks ago about the history of French colonialism. I didn't bother starting a thread as it had disappeared from the iPlayer by the time I listened to it.

Comment

• tony yyy

The Essay does now seem to be available as a podcast: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/essay

Comment

Working...
        X