• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Michael Grandage on Private Passions

Title says it all, really. Might be interesting (even to aeolium!) which is why I'm posting it here.

Any Donmar regulars here?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Carmen

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Title says it all, really. Might be interesting (even to aeolium!) which is why I'm posting it here.

Any Donmar regulars here?
    Private Passions is great, but I fear for its future in the current climate. Great music, intelligent conversation - mostly about the music. Last week's with Simon Mawer was an exceptionally good mix. Still a few days to listen.

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

Might be interesting (even to aeolium!)
      Not sure why you say that, ff. I hardly ever listen to PP and I'm not generally a fan of theatre directors - I've suffered too much at their hands. I doubt if I've ever seen anything directed by Grandage and I don't think he's done any work for radio, has he? Having said that, he is directing a new production of Don Giovanni for the Met which is being broadcast live to cinemas at the end of next month, so I'll have a chance to see his work then.

But as you've mentioned it, I may make the effort to listen (I've been a bit busy of late and am struggling to catch up with missed programmes such as last Sunday's Do3).

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
        Not sure why you say that, ff. I hardly ever listen to PP
        I know you aren't a fan - that's why I said 'even to aeolium'. I was thinking more of the theatre angle. But directors are to you what conductors are to Ariosto, then?

It was Grandage's production of The Chalk Garden that was on Do3, and he directed the radio version too. I think he may have done another one earlier, but can't remember which one.

I'm sure you'll do better finding time for the Do3!

Edit: Seems Grandage also directed Othello and Don Carlos.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aeolium
          • Nov 2010

But directors are to you what conductors are to Ariosto, then?
          Not quite. I just wish they would see themselves more as servants of the work of the playwright and less as creative artists in their own right. There's too much striving for originality for its own sake, and too much concern for 'relevance', the cursed fashion of the age. Rather than wondering about how to update a play or opera to a different age, I wish the director would study the work as closely as possible - it should all be there in the text (or libretto/music for an opera).

I did enjoy The Chalk Garden - but there is much less opportunity for directors to get in the way for radio productions.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
            Rather than wondering about how to update a play or opera to a different age, I wish the director would study the work as closely as possible - it should all be there in the text (or libretto/music for an opera).
            That is very much what Grandage did in his production of Billy Budd for Glyndebourne - the least pretentious production I've seen for ages.

Comment

Working...
            X