• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

BBC 4 Notre Dame- the day it burned down

The dramatic story of the devastating fire at Notre-Dame Cathedral in 2019.

Astonishing programme. PLease watch...................
  • Simon Biazeck
    • Jul 2020

So emotional! What Les Sapeurs Pompiers did to save the North Tower... such bravery and incredibly dangerous.

SBz

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

Thanks DM, I would have missed this.

A day never to be forgotten, as organ devotees the world over held their breath and, thanks to les pompiers, that unique instrument was saved.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Simon Biazeck View Post
        So emotional! What Les Sapeurs Pompiers did to save the North Tower... such bravery and incredibly dangerous.

SBz
        Yes, indeed. And so beguilingly self-deprecating in the re-telling!
        That moment when the acutely listening Macron merely nodded almost imperceptibly live on film to activate serious and dangerous stuff - if you blinked, you would literally miss the nod, mutter, and wink of eye to the people in charge outside the Cathedral.

Comment

• Simon Biazeck
          • Jul 2020

Yes! The flash of emotion on Macron's face as he looked up at the cathedral... wow! The Storyville format (proper documentary!) is so brilliant for the telling - visceral and like being there. It really brought out the characters of the individual firefighters too; their teamwork and bravery - I am in awe. I have vowed that I will not return until it is restored (could be a while!) - it will be very emotional. BTW, the programme which followed (I watched it online last year) was fascinating too. I long for an update on their progress.

SBz.
          Last edited by Simon Biazeck; 17-11-20, 11:45.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000pjc9
              Astonishing programme. PLease watch...................
              Remarkable stuff... Your post prompted me to start watching far too late at night! I was gripped for an hour, sleep forced a resumption today! Remarkable témoignages from the range of firefighters, from the chief to the young woman for whom this was her first fire Talk about a baptism of.... &c.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

My impression was that both the cathedral authorities and the fire service were a bit slow off the mark! But I was trying to follow it in French, the subtitles being too far away for me to read.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                  • Nov 2010

I’ve just finished watching it on iPlayer. One of the most moving TV programmes I’ve seen in a long time. I lived in Paris for a few years about 15 minutes walk from the Nôtre Dame and loved wandering over to the cathedral. When the fire happened I was on holiday in France and got back to my hotel after dinner, switched on the TV, and then watched in horror as the events unfolded. The bravery of the firefighters can’t be overestimated.
                  Steve

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Finished watching... absolutely gripping conclusion, especially the effort around the towers and the bells...

No mention of the organ at all in the programme, however.

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    My impression was that both the cathedral authorities and the fire service were a bit slow off the mark!

Well I thought the fire service came out of it as heroes, who mastered what they were presented with as far as humanly possible, but that the subtext of the programme was that the Cathedral authorities had been worse than ineffectual. And indeed, discussing it this evening with Parisian friends, I gather that the fall-out has revealed spectacular lack of effective management, such that the entire reconstruction process has been placed under the supervision of one of the country’s toughest five-star Generals, Georgelin. No messing around with this chap

... and no leaving things to the little Ile de la Cité clique that hitherto enjoyed the reflected glory (and budget) of Notre-Dame de Paris
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks for drawing my attention to this fascinating programme. Gripping stuff, but also very amusing in places, not least all the material surrounding the rescue of the Treasures of the Cathedral - the fireman who jagged his hand on the replica Crown of Thorns, before realising it WAS just a replica. Such bravery from these courageous men and women.

Comment

Working...
                      X