Anthony Powell. Dance to the Music of Time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Anthony Powell. Dance to the Music of Time.

This is not a recent broadcast but I wondered if Col Danby, who mentioned these books,or anyone elsewould like to revive memories of them. I read some of them over 60 years ago [] so would love to hear of recent converts. I csn only remember titles like 'The Acceptance World'??? and 'At Lady Molly's' ??? both probably wrong. I know at 18 they took me into an entire world I didn't know.
  • Mandryka

On my 'to to be read one day' pile.

I know that Powell's intrinsic Toryism puts a lot of potential readers off.

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

I read them about ten years ago and the book that stuck in my mind more than any other was the one set at the end of WWII. I found it extremely, and movingly, evocative of the times.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

I am like Mandryka - on my list to read if/when I retire. I have read about 3 out of order and enjoyed them all! Also heard the BBC Radio adaptation

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Was there a character called Widmerpool who upset everyone else? Alas I borrowed them from the library so can't even check on them. I think there were 12 volumes in all, I only read three or four.

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            Was there a character called Widmerpool who upset everyone else? Alas I borrowed them from the library so can't even check on them. I think there were 12 volumes in all, I only read three or four.
            C4 televised it in the 90s. Simon Russell Beale played Widmerpool who was, according to some sources, based on Ted Heath (the politician, not the bandleader).

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
              C4 televised it in the 90s. Simon Russell Beale played Widmerpool who was, according to some sources, based on Ted Heath (the politician, not the bandleader).
              I can't believe that Anthony Powell would have pandered to Margaret Thatcher

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                I read them about ten years ago and the book that stuck in my mind more than any other was the one set at the end of WWII. I found it extremely, and movingly, evocative of the times.
                Would that be 'Books Do Furnish A Room'?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

I read all twelve volumes of this sequence over a period of ten or more years, twenty years back. What I liked was the sense of a series of relationships which developed and mingled over a very long time span. I too found the wartime volume the most affecting, suggesting that this was the time at which the author was most in touch with his emotions. Of course the world portrayed is one of a narrow coterie of figures from the establishment, yet it is no less a human story for all that. I wonder whether it would now read a little datedly, if one can say that; certainly it is written in what one might call a classical style of English prose. Widmerpool appears in the first pages of the first volume, and dies, if I recall correctly, while dancing in the open air with a curious sect, in the last volume. I think he's a rather more rounded and colourful character than I think Ted Heath was.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

I remember the TV series, Simon R-B playing the same part from schoolboy onwards

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Strange how so few of them seem to have ordinary names of the Smith, Brown and Robinson variety.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

There is an interesting amount of detail on wiki I've found, including who the various characters were based on. Can't remember but it certainly wasn't Ted Heath.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Strange how so few of them seem to have ordinary names of the Smith, Brown and Robinson variety.
                          Just as with the novels of Iris Murdoch, ff

Comment

Working...
                          X