• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Words and Music now

We used to have very enthusiastic posts about this programme, but now it seldom seems to be mentioned. There seem to be different views as to whether the best time is last thing at night (as it used to be) or Sunday teatime as now. Any ideas?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Sunday teatime preferred. This is one of the few programmes I listen to while it is being broadcast. If broadcast later, I doubt whether I would listen, nor use iPlayer to catch-up.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

That's one voice. Where are all the other people who seemingly used to listen to it?

(I was happy with the late evening, in bed (a reasonable substitute for some good chamber music). Teatime isn't a good time for sitting down and concentrating for me.)
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Definitely a late-night programme! Too much going on at tea time (well, supper time chez nous).

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Definitely a Listen Again programme.
          Last edited by Padraig; 23-03-18, 11:30.

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Super programme, it reminds me of Children's Hour and being read to. I'd never hear it in a late night slot but it fits very well where it is - more or less at Children's Hour.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              Definitely a late-night programme! Too much going on at tea time (well, supper time chez nous).
              Agreed.

I love this programme. Maybe it doesn't get much attention here because evryone's happy the way it is. But I'd still prefer a late hour as it used to inhabit.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I had the impression when it was moved from late night to teatime that people complained, but perhaps it just lost some listeners and found others? At any rate, I did think of mentioning it as a possible 'complaint' but then didn't think there was much evidence here that one view prevailed over the other so I didn't say anything about it.

I understand there will be announcements tomorrow about schedule changes. Watch this space (or another one somewhere).

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                  • Mar 2007

The press release is here.

There is more in the blog.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                    The press release is here.

There is more in the blog.
                    Yes, I'll start a new thread. New schedule changes 2018
                    Last edited by french frank; 24-03-18, 10:20.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      Also agree. I used to listen very often late evening - sometimes while driving home from London, I remember. I hardly ever hear it now since it clashes with other things, eg live football on the TV, and I don't get around to listening again.

Comment

Working...
                      X