• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Do3: 'Dinner' Sunday, May 7th

Caught up with this last night. Very glad I did.

Astonishingly sharp acting, darkly very funny, hefty on 'language', but absolutely gripping. Thank you Harriet Walter and team.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Caught up with this last night. Very glad I did.

Astonishingly sharp acting, darkly very funny, hefty on 'language', but absolutely gripping. Thank you Harriet Walter and team.
    For those enticed to listen and who want more details:

There are a couple of clips on that page of Harriet Walter talking about this series that she's, erm, put together.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
      • Jan 2014

I chanced upon it, and couldn't leave it - I agree- gripping....

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
        I chanced upon it, and couldn't leave it - I agree- gripping....
        Excellent programme!

With titles on the web page such as 'Curated by Harriet Walter' I see the BBC is creating its own language.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I listened last night. Not really my kind of play, but I did laugh out loud at times and I thought the acting absolutely excellent - Harriet Walter, Nicholas Farrell (oddly not credited at all in the cast list) and Peter McDonald.

I wasn't really as gripped as others. Not only was I wondering after about an hour whether to stay with it but - very annoyingly - my attention wandered at a key point so that I became aware (no spoiler!) of a sudden change in atmosphere without understanding whether something had happened or was going to happen; and I wasn't quite clear what had happened (I found a copy of the relevant part of the text online).

Thinking about it later, I did realise how the 'game' fitted into the plot … For me, though, the performance/production brought out the very best in a play which didn't impress me hugely. Possibly more personal taste than an objective critical judgement.
          Last edited by french frank; 18-05-17, 18:20.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
          X