• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Do3: A Streetcar Named Desire 26-3-17

"Anne Marie Duff leads the cast in a new production of Tennessee Williams's play, telling the story of a catastrophic confrontation between fantasy and reality, embodied in the characters of Blanche DuBois and Stanley Kowalski."

Tennessee Williams's seminal drama, starring Anne-Marie Duff as Blanche.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Nobody listened, or had any comments? I listened last night. Tennessee Williams not a playwright I appreciate much, but in as far as I understand what's 'great' about him - depiction of raw, no holds barred, emotionally unstable characters - this seemed a reasonable production. Radio provided me with a bit more of a challenge than a stage performance might have done in getting me to feel totally involved.

I think there is usually a slight conviction gap when British actors are portraying Americans but Anne-Marie Duff gave a good performance of Blanche which was a strong lead for the rest of the cast (described as "stellar" by the R3 website - though I'd never heard of any of them). Good to see R3 providing 'important' drama.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      the rest of the cast (described as "stellar" by the R3 website.
      Isn't that a different TW play?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Isn't that a different TW play?
        No, Stella definitely in ASND. Blanche's sister.

"a stellar cast in a new landmark production of Tennessee Williams's iconic play"

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

It's been a very long time since I saw/read any TW - the Streetcar ran over the Cat in my memory. I should make the time and effort to listen to this production - but it will be an effort: I was never very enthusiastic about the plays, finding them overwrought and observational (as opposed to insightful) - and an odd mixture of dull hysteria.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

It's been a very long time since I saw/read any TW - the Streetcar ran over the Cat in my memory. I should make the time and effort to listen to this production - but it will be an effort: I was never very enthusiastic about the plays, finding them overwrought and observational (as opposed to insightful) - and an odd mixture of dull hysteria.
            I can't disagree with that - I listen to such things purely as a dispassionate critic. Not one seeking entertainment

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

I can't disagree with that - I listen to such things purely as a dispassionate critic. Not one seeking entertainment
              Well, bearing in mind one of the possible etymological origins of the word (which, IIRC, means "something that enters and holds [the imagination]") I would say that "entertainment" is exactly what a dispassionate critic should expect from a work of Art. Williams pales for me between the greater poles of Chekhov (Three Sisters, not Star Trek) and Beckett who dealt with similar subject matter but in infinitely more astonishing (and entertaining) ways. There again, I must read them again without the sub-Lee Strasberg emoting that has stained my perception over the years.

(For the frivolous aspect of "entertainment", I did enjoy The Simpsons' adaptation of Streetcar as a Musical - that, if nothing else, should have reminded me that Stella is in Streetcar!)

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Well, bearing in mind one of the possible etymological origins of the word (which, IIRC, means "something that enters and holds [the imagination]") I would say that "entertainment" is exactly what a dispassionate critic should expect from a work of Art.
                I think my intended use of 'dispassionate' was 'disengaged', so a dispassionate critic witnesses and judges, without necessarily taking any great pleasure in this "entertainment", not 'enjoying' it. By some standards (the BBC's, for example) the enjoyment or appreciation IS the measure of "quality", whereas I would say it the measurement of A quality, or characteristic, though not THE measure of quality or excellence.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

I think my intended use of 'dispassionate' was 'disengaged', so a dispassionate critic witnesses and judges, without necessarily taking any great pleasure in this "entertainment", not 'enjoying' it. By some standards (the BBC's, for example) the enjoyment or appreciation IS the measure of "quality", whereas I would say it the measurement of A quality, or characteristic, though not THE measure of quality or excellence.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Coming down to earth, I saw a really excellent production of A Street Car at Leicester Currve a couple of years ago. The crit in the Leicester Mercury (!) is more a brief synopsis; but I disagree the 'southern accents' somehow obscured the dialogue. I heard every word.

Comment

• Conchis
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2014

I think of myself as an admirer of TW, having acted in one of his plays but the point you make that I have highlighted has definitely given me pause. You may be onto something here.

Comment

• Conchis
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2014

I think of myself as an admirer of TW, having acted in one of his plays but the point you make that I have highlighted has definitely given me pause. You may be onto something here.

Comment

Working...
                        X