• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ucanseetheend
    • Dec 2010

Free thinking programme

Now on R4
    Last edited by ucanseetheend; 23-06-24, 06:00.
    "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Did you want to tell us somethng? I'd be interested to see your views on Causal Set Theory and Quantum Relativity, for instance (just to get the ball rolling...)

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Did you want to tell us somethng? I'd be interested to see your views on Causal Set Theory and Quantum Relativity, for instance (just to get the ball rolling...)
      I think that you're free to think what you like about the original post!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I think that you're free to think what you like about the original post!
        Yes, I'm trying sustainable thinking....but not a hope of that today as grand-kids coming....
        bong ching

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I believe an update negated the initial comment :-)
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
            Host
            • Jun 2018

Were you thinking of Thinking Allowed (which was on after your post) or Friday's "Free Thinking" on "The illusion of time, the summer solstice & the philosophy of comedy"?

BTW "On Your Farm", which followed Thinking Allowed, was good this morning - who can resist Welsh sheep & sheep dogs?

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

Yes, I wondered if it was 'Thinking Allowed', dear old Laurie Taylor's programme. But no, there is a Radio4 programme called 'Free Thinking'. Hopefully ucanseetheend will return to us one day.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                Yes, I wondered if it was 'Thinking Allowed', dear old Laurie Taylor's programme. But no, there is a Radio4 programme called 'Free Thinking'. Hopefully ucanseetheend will return to us one day.
                That IS R3's Free Thinking - moved to R4 along with The Verb in Sam Jackson's refreshing makeover.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Forget It (U2079353)
                  • Nov 2010

On R4 Free Thinking has slid into being just another multi-topic diluted discussion programme.

On R3 where there were more episodes (that once a week) some were entirely dedicated to single theme that fascinated the presenter, and often fascinated me.

Those curated by Matthew Sweet were really quite sweet.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Forget It (U2079353) View Post
                    On R4 Free Thinking has slid into being just another multi-topic diluted discussion programme.

On R3 where there were more episodes (that once a week) some were entirely dedicated to single theme that fascinated the presenter, and often fascinated me.

....as that Irish comedian used to say....(Frank Carson)...."it's the way I tell em"....Free Thinking was a programme that needed to be on R3 to keep the spoken quota up....but in fact (I think) would have been better on R4 - to swim in the stream with other programmes of the like, so to be automatically heard (as many do) when folk do not turn off immediately after another programme.....
                    bong ching

Comment

• ucanseetheend
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

That IS R3's Free Thinking - moved to R4 along with The Verb in Sam Jackson's refreshing makeover.
                      Refreshing? Matter of opinion
                      "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

• ucanseetheend
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Forget It (U2079353) View Post

Absolutely! There was far more focus on arts and culture when on R3.Now it's political and less fun

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post

Refreshing? Matter of opinion
                          It's R3's opinion (aka BBC-speak).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

It's R3's opinion (aka BBC-speak).
                            It was probably in tended to be "re-freshing", or bringing back in such a way as to seem fresh after first freshing up in the staff conveniences - is that a neologism? Anyway, it's why I prefer writing hyphens after prefixes - they make things clearer as well as looking more elegant on the page. "Reuse" - anyone? What's rerz when it's at home?

Comment

Working...
                            X