Where is Everyone? (from the naughty step)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Honoured Guest
    • Sep 2024

Where is Everyone? (from the naughty step)

I'm barred from commenting on the Classical forum, but Ena's latest post on the "Where is everyone?" thread can't be allowed to stand unanswered:

"We can go round in circles discussing the two remaining programmes on Radio 3:
    1. Breakfast/EssentialClassics/Sunday/The Choir/InTune
    2. The Proms

But as things slide and our pleas are ignored, we end up repeating ourselves, just as CB-H et al repeat themselves.
    So to preserve sanity, we end up talking about non-R3 things."

This is to completely ignore the Drama, Features, Poetry and other Speech, and the Jazz, World and other Non-Classical on Radio 3.

In my opinion, Ena's post exemplifies the prevailing assumption on this site that personal preferences should be universal, and that Radio 3 should serve them personally, to the exclusion of almost everyone else, even if with only slightly different tastes.

Again in my opinion, it's why it's hard to take "complaints" here seriously.

Now, back to oblivion ...
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
    I'm barred from commenting on the Classical forum, but Ena's latest post on the "Where is everyone?" thread can't be allowed to stand unanswered:

"We can go round in circles discussing the two remaining programmes on Radio 3:
    1. Breakfast/EssentialClassics/Sunday/The Choir/InTune
    2. The Proms

But as things slide and our pleas are ignored, we end up repeating ourselves, just as CB-H et al repeat themselves.
    So to preserve sanity, we end up talking about non-R3 things."

This is to completely ignore the Drama, Features, Poetry and other Speech, and the Jazz, World and other Non-Classical on Radio 3.

In my opinion, Ena's post exemplifies the prevailing assumption on this site that personal preferences should be universal, and that Radio 3 should serve them personally, to the exclusion of almost everyone else, even if with only slightly different tastes.

Again in my opinion, it's why it's hard to take "complaints" here seriously.

Now, back to oblivion ...
    And stay there!

HS

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

..This is to completely ignore the Drama, Features, Poetry and other Speech, and the Jazz, World and other Non-Classical on Radio 3...
      It's true that there's not nearly as much comment on these areas as there is on the music on Radio 3.

I think this was always the case, even on the old R3 boards. There are a number of possible reasons for it.

I note that you make serious posts on these topics yourself, without apparently the urge to be provocative that overtakes you when you're talking about music, or other people's views about R3's music output.

There's nothing wrong with provoking discussion of course, but winding people up for the sake of it, dismissing their opinions wholesale, calling them by silly nicknames you've invented yourself, is just wearisome.

Comment

• pilamenon
        • Nov 2010

I agree. It completely ignores a large part of what makes Radio 3 worth listening to for some people, and doesn't address the question as to why people are posting less here as far as I can see.

I'm sorry you've been banned - your posts were worth reading for the counter view to the prevailing orthodoxy on here. I don't agree (with a post on the other thread) that the BBC mods were more heavy-handed than they are here - heated discussions often flourished undetected or for ages before anything was done. However, I agree with Jean's point about the silly nicknames - that does you no credit.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
          I agree. It completely ignores a large part of what makes Radio 3 worth listening to for some people, and doesn't address the question as to why people are posting less here as far as I can see.
          A fair point. I was referring to the current daytime schedule.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

It is, apparently, a matter of deep resentment to some people that Radio 3 is, mainly, for classical music. And the complaints that people make are about the classical music output. The other genres included aren't complained about by classical music listeners. The jazz is for jazz fans, world music for world music fans, spoken arts for that audience. There are obvious overlaps, but if people complain about any programming here it's generally about the programmes they want to listen to. If they aren't interested in jazz or world music, they don't listen to those programmes. No problem. And if jazz fans want to complain about the jazz output, they do so.

Jean puts her finger on the problem: there were too many complaints from people that you were just posting on the classical boards to wind people up, that you have no genuine interest in those topics and were out of sympathy with classical listeners to the point of being rude.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
            X