• Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Interesting Varoufakis article

• Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

He's one of our finest spokespeople - if there only were more of his ilk, articulacy and persuasiveness! I still adhere I suppose to recoupling the original idea of money expressing value, as encrypted in commodities which it took so many collective hours to produce from exhaustible raw materials, because that reconnects with the underlying reality that the value is unequally exchanged under capitalism by the unequal purchasing power of those usurping the value, or rather the surplus value. The latter in turn has moral and ethical repercussions which are not so easily translatable into Varoufakis's view that conjuring money out of thin air - which is the present-day decoupling of wealth from its productive base - is just fine, because - the question I would need to have satisfied is, who has the control over the money supply, and by what means, and to what ends? Without control being exercised over the state machinery that oversees expenditure - an unanswered question in the terms of the linked discussion - carte blanche is open to anyone claiming legitimacy.

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      He's one of our finest spokespeople - if there only were more of his ilk, articulacy and persuasiveness! I still adhere I suppose to recoupling the original idea of money expressing value, as encrypted in commodities which it took so many collective hours to produce from exhaustible raw materials, because that reconnects with the underlying reality that the value is unequally exchanged under capitalism by the unequal purchasing power of those usurping the value, or rather the surplus value. The latter in turn has moral and ethical repercussions which are not so easily translatable into Varoufakis's view that conjuring money out of thin air - which is the present-day decoupling of wealth from its productive base - is just fine, because - the question I would need to have satisfied is, who has the control over the money supply, and by what means, and to what ends? Without control being exercised over the state machinery that oversees expenditure - an unanswered question in the terms of the linked discussion - carte blanche is open to anyone claiming legitimacy.
      I'll need some time to digest Varoufakis's article.
      Economic radicalism reminds me of Henry George and his ideas, a persistent albeit lesser-known view of the way economies should be run.

Comment

Working...
      X