Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew
    • Jan 2020

Studies have found that wearing a mask significantly reduces the risk of transmission of COVID-19. There are two main reasons to wear a mask: masks do offer some protection for the mask wearer, but the main reason to wear a mask is that they protect others from catching an infection or virus from the person wearing the mask. [NB UK = University of Kentucky]

This hits the "maskdebate" bang on! "Masks offer some SOME protection for the wearer, but the main reason to wear one is that they protect others" The 'others' referred to would only catch Coronavirus from me IF I WERE INFECTED! I'm tested twice a week and have had both my vaccinations, so the chances of me:
    A/ Having Coronavirus, and
    B/ Spreading it
    are slightly less that suffering a fatal accident after tripping over a tortoise in my local High Street!

As to the masks protecting me, that's my risk, my choice and I'll take it! 45 deaths out of a population of 60+ million-pretty negligible odds, I'd say!
    Major Denis Bloodnok, Indian Army (RTD) Coward and Bar, currently residing in Barnet, Hertfordshire!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
      The 'others' referred to would only catch Coronavirus from me IF I WERE INFECTED!
      Though, of course, the "others" may be the ones infected, and not have been tested; should they not wear a mask they will still risk infecting even those who do wear masks and have had a 94% effective vaccine. My view is that as individuals we need to be more careful once restrictions are lifted, not more carefree.

As to the masks protecting me, that's my risk, my choice and I'll take it!
      That seems to be exactly what the government is allowing, so you will be perfectly within your rights.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Andrew
        • Jan 2020

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Though, of course, the "others" may be the ones infected, and not have been tested; should they not wear a mask they will still risk infecting even those who do wear masks and have had a 94% effective vaccine. My view is that as individuals we need to be more careful once restrictions are lifted, not more carefree.

That seems to be exactly what the government is allowing, so you will be perfectly within your rights.
        I agree, but H.M.G. are "pointing" the way they want things to go, which suggests the expectation is that mask wearing will continue, so my "rights" will be somewhat diluted!
        Major Denis Bloodnok, Indian Army (RTD) Coward and Bar, currently residing in Barnet, Hertfordshire!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

so my "rights" will be somewhat diluted!
          Still, think of it all as being for the greater good:

Hospitals in the north-east of England are facing a new surge of cases.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

. . . As to the masks protecting me, that's my risk, my choice and I'll take it! 45 deaths out of a population of 60+ million-pretty negligible odds, I'd say!
            How many do you know or have known personally who have either died from COVID-19 or been stricken with 'long COVID? In my circle of close friends, it is two of the former and one of the latter. While face coverings, in general, will not block all viruses in aerosols, when worn properly, and preferably of at least of KN95 standard, they will stop most of the larger droplets, which are the greater threat. Even the leaky at the side surgical masks will stop most droplets.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

One of the biggest problems with discussion around covid is that every issue seems to be treated as a single issue problem, and the world really isn’t a single issue place.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Andrew
                • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                How many do you know or have known personally who have either died from COVID-19 or been stricken with 'long COVID? In my circle of close friends, it is two of the former and one of the latter. While face coverings, in general, will not block all viruses in aerosols, when worn properly, and preferably of at least of KN95 standard, they will stop most of the larger droplets, which are the greater threat. Even the leaky at the side surgical masks will stop most droplets.
                My next door neighbour's brother died WITH (not of) Coronavirus, and 2 colleagues at work have both had time off work as a result of having the disease. Both are now fully recovered and neither wear masks (we don't have to, as our work exempts us) considering the vaccines plus their immunity, as result of having the illness to be more than enough protection! I admire that approach!

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Studies have found that wearing a mask significantly reduces the risk of transmission of COVID-19. There are two main reasons to wear a mask: masks do offer some protection for the mask wearer, but the main reason to wear a mask is that they protect others from catching an infection or virus from the person wearing the mask. [NB UK = University of Kentucky]

This hits the "maskdebate" bang on! "Masks offer some SOME protection for the wearer, but the main reason to wear one is that they protect others" The 'others' referred to would only catch Coronavirus from me IF I WERE INFECTED! I'm tested twice a week and have had both my vaccinations, so the chances of me:
                  A/ Having Coronavirus, and
                  B/ Spreading it
                  are slightly less that suffering a fatal accident after tripping over a tortoise in my local High Street!

As to the masks protecting me, that's my risk, my choice and I'll take it! 45 deaths out of a population of 60+ million-pretty negligible odds, I'd say!
                  And how are the rest of us supposed to determine that you present no threat?

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                    And how are the rest of us supposed to determine that you present no threat?
                    A time will have to come when we no longer concern ourselves principally with the health threat that other people may pose.Some people might say that with the offer vaccination being universal, that now is that time.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      A time will have to come when we no longer concern ourselves principally with the health threat that other people may pose.Some people might say that with the offer vaccination being universal, that now is that time.
                      You will, of course, be aware that double vaccination by no means offers total protection against COVID-19. There have now been a number of cases of infection occurring some time after a second jab. Vaccination has been shown to be highly effective but not a guarantee against infection, any more than previous infection is. I detect more than a hint of "I'm alright Jack" syndrome in some recent posts on this thread. Hospitalisation and deaths related to SARS-Cov-2 in the UK are rising again.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        You will, of course, be aware that double vaccination iy no means offers total protection against COVID-19. There have now been a number of cases of infection occurring some time after a second jab. Vaccination has been shown o be highly effective but not is not a guarantee against infection, any more than previous infection is. I detect more than a hint of "I'm alright Jack" syndrome in some recent posts on this thread. Hospitalisation and deaths related to SARS-Cov-2 in the UK are rising again.
                        I’m really talking about how we deal with endemic covid, going forward. We are all going to have to find ways of dealing with it, whilst enabling other healthcare and all other aspects of life, including economic life, to continue.

Just as an example, excess deaths are currently well below the 5 year average. Deaths from flu and pneumonia in June were 10 times higher than covid.
                        There are no guarantees on health. But restrictions due to covid do cause collateral damage.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          . . . ut restrictions due to covid do cause collateral damage.
                          It is important here, not to generalise. The wearing of face coverings, in conditions of high social interaction, offers a very low risk of collateral damage, for instance. Failure to contribute to such ameliorating measures, I regard as highly irresponsible, verging on sociopathy.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Double vaccinated colleague of mine in her 40s struck down with it today - plus her two small children have tested positive and have symptoms and her NHS worker husband self-isolating as a result. Cases rocket above 40,000 a day and 49 dead today- many of whom will be either young or double vaccinated.

The relaxation whilst the Delta variant runs rampant is reckless in the extreme and a return to the herd immunity idea of March 2020 by the back door. As for the removal of social distancing and compulsory mask wearing it is tantamount to telling the immune suppressed and former shielders ( many of whom will have limited life expectancies ) to lockdown - I hear they are being told to do late night shopping to avoid the selfish and irresponsible who " choose " not to wear masks - this is not about the data it is about politics and the rebellious Tory MPs - and how many people will be hospitalised and die as a result ?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              it is tantamount to telling the immune suppressed and former shielders ( many of whom will have limited life expectancies ) to lockdown
                              Yes, I heard that today from a friend who is dealing with stage IV cancer who interprets the current government policy as telling her and those in her kind of situation "well, you're going to die soon anyway..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                                Double vaccinated colleague of mine in her 40s struck down with it today - plus her two small children have tested positive and have symptoms and her NHS worker husband self-isolating as a result. Cases rocket above 40,000 a day and 49 dead today- many of whom will be either young or double vaccinated.

The relaxation whilst the Delta variant runs rampant is reckless in the extreme and a return to the herd immunity idea of March 2020 by the back door. As for the removal of social distancing and compulsory mask wearing it is tantamount to telling the immune suppressed and former shielders ( many of whom will have limited life expectancies ) to lockdown - I hear they are being told to do late night shopping to avoid the selfish and irresponsible who " choose " not to wear masks - this is not about the data it is about politics and the rebellious Tory MPs - and how many people will be hospitalised and die as a result ?
                                Is it really about “ rebellious” tory MPs? The opposition vote for anything that the government propose on covid.

Comment

Working...
                                X