Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anastasius
    • Mar 2015

I got a text from my surgery offering me a job.

Seriously, I'll not be hearing anytime soon since they 'stole' 50% of our vaccine quota.
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
      I got a text from my surgery offering me a job.
      Are they really that short of doctors?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        Took me a while to get the point of that. Thought you were just needling.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          He's not that crewel I hope?

Comment

• Frances_iom
            • Mar 2007

and when you did, did you go "Oh aah!)

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
              and when you did, did you go "Oh aah!)
              Quite quickly, but then I had to sit down and wait 15 minutes before I did anything.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anastasius
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                Predictive text joke perhaps?

And in news just in.....https://www.wsj.com/articles/novavax...dy-11611867720

So..did I or didn't I ?
                Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

It is good that surplus vaccines shots are used rather than dumped, but it does raise questions in terms of who benefits, is an ad hoc arrangement the only or best way( potentially open to abuse), and having a set up where ranking can block progress in a given area. Shades of the North being told to wait until the South has caught up?
                  Does it not cause problems with getting the second shot since some at least would be at the bottom of the priority ranking even for first shots - just as well that it has been decided that there can be a lengthy gap before getting the second shot, perhaps by then the glitches will have been ironed out.
                  It is a complex undertaking but some of the glitches seem to be the result of lack of thought and preparation higher up the chain.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Q: if I had first jab with Pfizer vacc, is there a prob / no prob being offered Astra Zeneca etc for second jab?

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      Q: if I had first jab with Pfizer vacc, is there a prob / no prob being offered Astra Zeneca etc for second jab?
                      I'd say it was next to nil chance of you being offered a different one. I asked this when I had mine and they said nil, but I'm more cautious, hence next to nil.

Comment

• LHC
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        Ideally, you would want to receive the same vaccination for both jabs. However, as both jabs work by encouraging the immune system to recognise the virus’s spike protein, in theory if you were given the AZ as your second jab after having the Pfizer jab first, it should still act as an effective booster. As there are no clinical trials testing this, we can’t say for certain that this will be the case, but most scientists think it should be fine.

Its worth noting that the Sputnik vaccine is designed to work in exactly this way; the second jab is different to the first in order to boost the immune response. There has also been discussion with Oxford to see if a combination of the Sputnik and AZ vaccine could provide an even stronger response, so there is some science behind the mixing of vaccines in this way.

Edited to say that PHE advice is that having a different second jab should only be done as a last resort in extreme circumstances, so it is highly unlikely that you would receive a different vaccine for your second jab.
                        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                            • Jan 2014

Prior to the authorisation, rollout and delivery of the vaccine, I was firmly in the camp - as I have been for decades, of firm opponents of the party of which this government is the latest (and generally, debased) manifestation.

However, I'm coming to think its possible critical without any exception. The support for research, authorisation, production and delivery of the vaccine is nothing short of miraculous as far as I'm concerned. And of course only a part of that is to the credit of the government. They are relying on public servants (much despised, generally, not least by their masters) - business, medics and many, many volunteers.

If I was directing the despatch of vaccine around the UK when nothing can be perfect, and in all respects its a dynamic situation, I would be thinking - " great Yorkshire has forged ahead in its priority population (must find out how they did it). Do I allow other parts of the UK to fall even further behind, or shall I send first doses to the areas that need to catch up...."

I don't think that's equivalent to deciding to disadvantage Yorkshire.
                            Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 29-01-21, 11:25. Reason: Broke up a paragraph......

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

I'd say it was next to nil chance of you being offered a different one. I asked this when I had mine and they said nil, but I'm more cautious, hence next to nil.
                              I think it's possible, but very unlikely. I believe you were given a card with the details of the jab you had, and this should have been recorded against your medical records. The protocol which is being adopted should match the vaccine you had for jab 1 with that for jab 2. Of course the protocols could change - or there could be errors - but there shouldn't be a change assuming that everything goes to plan. In fairness, the chances of errors should be very low.

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Red 4083 above:
                                Checked with local pharmacy - FF correct: once a Pfizer jabee always a Pfizer jabee!

Comment

Working...
                                X