X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Tarana Burke - #MeToo

HARDtalk: Stephen Sackur interviews Tarana Burke; she first coined the phrase MeToo, long before the Harvey Weinstein case. She continues to reach out to marginalised women and girls.

In our ‘warp speed’ online culture, today’s trending topic is often tomorrow’s forgotten hashtag. Not so with MeToo; an expression of understanding and solidarity from women to women, driven by a determination to expose the truth about abusive sexual behaviour. Stephen Sackur interviews Tarana Burke; she first coined the phrase MeToo, long before the Harvey Weinstein case. She continues to reach out to marginalised women and girls, but what difference has the MeToo movement made to the bigger picture?

• kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

I have just heard this interview on the BBC World Service.

I've started the thread because, simply, I think everyone should listen to this!

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Bumping this up, in the hope of some comment.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        Bumping this up, in the hope of some comment.
        The reference to World Service threw me. I watched it on BBC News's Hard Talk. Deep respect for this determined woman.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Thanks Bryn. For various reasons I decided to post only an audio link, so thanks for posting the video link.
          Deep respect for this determined woman.
          Indeed: I had no idea that the #MeToo movement predated so substantially the shock waves from the Harvey Weinstein case. I was deeply moved by this interview.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

It looks like Michael Bloomberg Presidential run will founder on the shores of the MeTwo Island

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              It looks like Michael Bloomberg Presidential run will founder on the shores of the MeTwo Island
              If it even makes it to the shallows.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

I have just heard this interview on the BBC World Service.

I've started the thread because, simply, I think everyone should listen to this!
                And am hoping that, over the weekend, more members might read it and comment.

Tarana makes the point that #MeToo is about an issue as old as humanity - sexual violence against women by the more powerful.

Comment

• Padraig
                  • Feb 2013

And am hoping that, over the weekend, more members might read it and comment.

Tarana makes the point that #MeToo is about an issue as old as humanity - sexual violence against women by the more powerful.
                  Yes, I have seen it, kb. Though I neither had heard about Tarana Burke herself I was aware of movement on the topic in the US. I regarded Nina Simone as the spokeswoman for abused women, and some of her songs say it all. I'm glad that Ms Burke has found more support for the cause, and pleased too that the current MeToo group has recognised her previous crusade.
                  On a depressing note I have just read a headline that tells of jury deadlock in the trial of Weinstein.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

The Weinstein trial looks a bit murky to me, as it depended upon the testimony of women who had been in consensual relationships with him for years and had benefited professionally from their association with him for years, who then claim that subsequent encounters crossed a boundary.
                    One of the accusers actually described him as a “soulmate”. The Los Angeles upcoming prosecution has what appear to be stronger accusers. I will probably be pilloried for the above comment.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Amid the relieved welcoming of the Weinstein trial verdict, it's worth remembering that the #MeToo movement was created for vulnerable women long before the Weinstein case. Tamara was interviewed on Newsnight last night (although I missed most of her contribution) and I think this brilliant interview with Stephen Sacker deserves a wide audience. The issue is far wider than the experiences of some Hollywood actors - however deserving of sympathy and justice.

Comment

Working...
                      X