X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
    I have thought about the idea of the french just "being", and this comes to mind:

Every town has a number of family-run pâtisseries, even the smallest has at least one. The "business model" is simple - Monsieur is usually the engine, Madame runs the shop. Occasionally unmarried children help out. They usually live above the premises, which they either own or rent. This supports them in a lifestyle to which they are accustomed, and gives them a prestige within the community- they are artists - nobody would try to make their products at home, when it is done so well. Nobody (well, few) ever suggests that they expand, diversify, form a chain or take over shops in other towns. When they retire they either sell the business or the lease, and enjoy their leisure. Yet I have seen these held up (by journalists) as obstacles to progress. These journalists are usually seen as "Anglo-saxon" which is often code for "American" in their outlook, and threats to French society.

I side with the shopkeepers - why is it considered necessary, if one has a comfortable lifestyle, that one constantly strives to improve one's position?
    Conflating "success" with "expansion" seems to be a rather common tendency these days.

This explains it perfectly https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/514638.Gertie_Gus

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Conflating "success" with "expansion" seems to be a rather common tendency these days.

This explains it perfectly https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/514638.Gertie_Gus
      And has been since the dawn of capitalism. One could I suppose set up a business without making it a limited company or issuing shares - an early form of crowdfunding without the donor returns. Share ownership creates the possibility of takeover, having the thing you and your workforce have built up from scratch, maybe, grabbed from under, but you'd either have to depend on self-financing, or on institutions with demands and expectations possibly in conflict with your aims, or subject to unexpected (unwelcome) change.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Great post Alain (#30)

I suppose the nearest thing we have here (since the demise of the corner shop) is the self-emoloyed sole-trader...happy plying his craft, content with a comfortable living, seeing no necessity to expand.
        But it's not a ready-made role (no pun intended) like that of the French patissier.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          ... the self-employed sole-trader...happy plying his craft, content with a comfortable living, seeing no necessity to expand..
          ... is his strap line Sutor, ne ultra crepidam ?

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I side with the shopkeepers - why is it considered necessary, if one has a comfortable lifestyle, that one constantly strives to improve one's position?
            I'm with you there - though your use of the word "improve" is suspect. An improvement must surely be better, by definition - but as with "conflating success with expansion", it doesn't necessarily follow that expanding, making a commercial empire, or working harder will bring real improvements as measured by those participating in such activities.

Comment

• Frances_iom
              • Mar 2007

but isn't the family run + owned firm common in Germany, South Korea and other successful capitalist countries - the UK stockmarket is notoriously short term profit seeking.

Comment

• Andrew
                • Jan 2020

I have thought about the idea of the french just "being", and this comes to mind:

Every town has a number of family-run pâtisseries, even the smallest has at least one. The "business model" is simple - Monsieur is usually the engine, Madame runs the shop. Occasionally unmarried children help out. They usually live above the premises, which they either own or rent. This supports them in a lifestyle to which they are accustomed, and gives them a prestige within the community- they are artists - nobody would try to make their products at home, when it is done so well. Nobody (well, few) ever suggests that they expand, diversify, form a chain or take over shops in other towns. When they retire they either sell the business or the lease, and enjoy their leisure. Yet I have seen these held up (by journalists) as obstacles to progress. These journalists are usually seen as "Anglo-saxon" which is often code for "American" in their outlook, and threats to French society.

I agree with every word of this! Being partly French I "get" the French way of life and have a feeling of "coming home" every time we visit the country, which is not often enough, given that we live in north London! Why do the French make the very things work that the English CAN'T make work? Years in the motor trade taught me how bad British Leyland vehicles were, the answer often given "well, they're nationalised; what do the Government know about building cars?" Yet... Renault are nationalised & have built (and still build!) some brilliant, innovative and smart cars....Why DO the French "get it right" when we don't?
                Major Denis Bloodnok, Indian Army (RTD) Coward and Bar, currently residing in Barnet, Hertfordshire!

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                  • Dec 2010

Further reflection reminds me of a fact which, although it does not invalidate the argument, may help sustain the pâtisserie/boulangerie: the price of white bread, along with many staples, is regulated here. This prevents larger shops selling bread at low prices to entice shoppers, and is intended to help the artisan shopkeeper. I do not know, however, if the price enables him/her to make a profit on bread.

Comment

• greenilex
                    • Nov 2010

Bread price very important; but let’s not forget circuses, and even roses...

Comment

Working...
                    X