X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
    OK. I concede to that (Kew being more than one thing) but I still think this is an easy attraction. Well of course you (one) can say ‘what’s wrong with that? It draws more visitors to the place’. Ah well. David Bowie prom.
    The Ibiza Prom was cr*p
    but there is space for oddities

....... my coat n'all

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Some of the exhibits shown on yesterday's lunchtime news DID detract for me, in a gaudy, "Look at me" kind of way. Eighth's comparison with Jeff Coons is about right, ime: ostentatious ornaments, rather than sculptures. I think seeing them up close would tend to enhance that impression.
      ....glorified window dressing....
      bong ching

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

vinteuil and ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Kew gardens are not ornamental gardens that are meant to be admired as designed places. It is a place where people go to see living plants from all over the world.
        Nor are the Edinburgh Botanical Gardens, Logan Botanical Gardens, or Harlow Carr, dovers.

Nobody here seems to be exactly over-thrilled with the Kew glass statues - but then we are all, it seems, reacting to the photograph, rather than to the sculptures themselves - but my own answer to the question you posed in your OP was voiced in the opening sentence in my first post immediately after that OP.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

They should have spent the money on eg some unusual vars. of Chinese/American/Canadian/Japanese tree peonies. Far more exotic and fragrant too. They don't need space in a greenhouse either.

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
            They should have spent the money on eg some unusual vars. of Chinese/American/Canadian/Japanese tree peonies. Far more exotic and fragrant too. They don't need space in a greenhouse either.
            I wasn’t brave enough to mention the cost side of the thing.

Mr GG #28
            When I visited Tokyo I was struck by these kinds of things
            What kind of things and how/why were you struck by them?

Ferneyhoughgeliebte
            As for ‘gardens’, I concede to that (#30).

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              Not all the sculptures will be indoors I believe. They will have a longer season of interest than would peonies(lovely as they are) and appeal to a wider audience.

Having the sculptures does not preclude adding to the plant collections, but getting additional visitors makes money available to do 'proper' Kew work.
              I will not get to see the Chihuly works, but know from other 'sculpture in gardens' experiences that it can be rewarding, not least for being totally different from an art gallery visit.

Comment

• doversoul1
                Ex Member
                • Dec 2010

I suppose my feelings about these objects have a lot in common with many people’s feelings about opera. All that money. What’s the point? I wonder how much insurance Kew paid.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

N
                  Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... the eighteenth century landscape garden was a deliberate evocation of a Poussin / Claude imagining of a Greek / Roman arcadia. The temples were a primary feature, not just an 'embellishment'.
                  Soit - though a comparison between Kew and Stourhead is a bit of a stretch.

The N at the beginning was because it was the interval in the opera and I was posting from my phone which I find awkward - I didn't notice the 'N'.

Also, I think the difference is that the 'English landscape' garden had bridges and follies because they were supposed to be part of an idealised landscape where streams had bridges and stone buildings, especially ruined ones, are part of a picturesque scene: they wouldn't have corrugated iron roofs and piles of old tractor tyres outside. The essential point is that they are intended to be part of the landscape, not separate works of art.

(Good subject for discussion, dover ).
                  Last edited by french frank; 12-04-19, 22:50.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
                    Ex Member
                    • Dec 2010

Here are some of the Art Works.

Chihuly, now 77, has said that he wants his work "to appear like it came from nature, so that if someone found it on a beach or in the forest, they might think it belonged there."
                    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47910451

These objects may be worth looking at in another space but amongst living plants in a garden, personally I think they look completely out of place and intruding.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Mr GG #28

What kind of things and how/why were you struck by them?
                      Statues of foxes with scarves

I think we get that you don't like art that doesn't conform to your idea of what art should be

Comment

• greenilex
                        • Nov 2010

It does seem to me that very brightly coloured glass has an interior, “gallery” feel to it...which I suppose may be Chihuly’s point in siting the pieces as he does.

Spring at Kew is tempting of itself and doesn’t need other attractions.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          N
                          The essential point is that they are intended to be part of the landscape, not separate works of art.
                          ... do you object to pieces of sculpture en plein air :

YSP has the best and most dynamic collection of outdoor sculpture in Britain. Artists come from the around the world, including Australia, Austria, Banglad

This is a remarkable evocation in full colour of the exhibition of Moore's late monumental bronzes held in the Bagatelle Gardens, Paris, in 1992. Over the years there have been many exhibitions of Moore's work in cities and museums around the world, but the exhibition at the Bagatelle was unique: a magical combination of Moore's monumental works set down in a park within a great city of the arts. Moore had a lifelong association with Paris, which began with a visit in 1922 while he was still a student, and his sculpture was exhibited there repeatedly during his lifetime. Moore in the Bagatelle Gardens presents fifty stunning photographs by Michel Muller, one of Moore's assistants, capturing the magical atmosphere of this exhibition. David Cohen's introductory essay discusses particular works in the Paris show in relation to Moore's ideas about sculpture and the open air.  

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

The Glass Sculptures at Kew

Objects in-and-out-of-context, human made
                            yet
                            forms of
                            Interplanetary grace

They look like they came from outer space

The Artificial in
                            The Natural Place

As if Aliens came
                            Sharing Gifts of Plants -

A sculpture out of
                            Their Horticulture
                            To set among
                            Our nurtured nature

Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 13-04-19, 08:56.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... do you object to pieces of sculpture en plein air :

https://ysp.org.uk/openair
                              Not in principle But in any case that's a quite different point from the inclusion of bridges and follies &c as 'part of the landscape' versus artworks placed in a landscape or garden setting.

That said, I do have a personal aversion to people and things which SHOUT.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
                                Ex Member
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                Statues of foxes with scarves

I think we get that you don't like art that doesn't conform to your idea of what art should be
                                Don’t we all? I don’t think we can ever talk about Art without having an idea what we considered what art is. Maybe your idea of art is ‘anything can be art’ and you don’t like it when art is subscribed to one particular idea.

These objects in the Kew gardens are a result of amazing skills and for that, it may be worth seeing them although I wouldn’t have them in my garden even he paid me a fortune. My objection is the Kew’s decision to have these imitation plants amongst the living plants with a huge cost and with a most likely result of distracting the visitors attention from the living plants and their surrounding.

As for the fox, I’m sure you were told but this fox is a messenger of a Shinto deity. It always sits in this pose wearing a red ‘scarf’ which is the sing of its status. These stone foxes are rather like the statues of Mary in Catholic countries. I’m still not sure what this has got to do with this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X