• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Art or Indulgence?

This looks to me a complete antithesis to what Kew Gardens stand for.

This reminds me of (some of) those updated Baroque operas. Where does Art become a public indulgence? Or is it just that time has moved on?
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
    Where does Art become a public indulgence?
    Wherever we don't like the resulting Art work, perhaps?

Gardening involves the creative utilisation of artificial objects - pagodas, bridges, fountains, sundials, pergolas, benches, statues, jardinieres, gnomes ... the glasshouses themselves at Kew are an artifice (created to "house" plants in an environment otherwise unnatural to them) so putting glass sculptures inside these glass houses doesn't strike me as "a complete antithesis".
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Kew Gardens is already an artificially created and maintained environment - these artworks aren't particularly to my taste, but they aren't so different in concept from putting plants in climate-controlled glass boxes or building walkways through the treetops surely. I love Kew Gardens by the way, and gardens and parks in general; and being in nature too, but that's a different thing.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

All depends on what tradition of gardening you subscribe to

Dale Chihuly's work (i've seen it at Kew before) is perfectly matched to Kew Gardens more than (for example) something by Andy Goldsworthy IMV

What Richard said
        Last edited by MrGongGong; 12-04-19, 09:48.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Our mission is to unlock the potential of plants and fungi, through the power of scientific discovery and research.
          In which respect yes the sculptures don't have much relevance, but the 'serious' work goes on separately from the public garden spaces, which need to continue to attract visitors. The sculptures aren't in the labs - which would be an indulgence as then they wouldn't be accessible to visitors....The previous such exhibition was apparently very successful in terms of visitor figures so it isn't surprising that a repeat is happening. Attracting visitors also enables Kew to publicise and educate about the scientific work it does.

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Yes, of course the concept of gardens itself is ultimately artificial. I’d forgotten that. I think what rubbed me up the wrong way is that these objects were, to me, imitation plants in the place where people come to admire living plants, and not the things that add extra functions or (maybe) dimensions (like garden gnomes ).

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Yes, of course the concept of gardens itself is ultimately artificial. I’d forgotten that. I think what rubbed me up the wrong way is that these objects were, to me, imitation plants in the place where people come to admire living plants and not the things that add extra functions or (maybe) dimensions (like garden gnomes ).
              I think it's worth going to see them in the flesh
              Do you think they are very different to having an exhibition of these types of drawings ?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                Do you think they are very different to having an exhibition of these types of drawings ?

Such an exhibition is (probably) more likely to be held in an art gallery than a glasshouse. That said, as a novelty that will attract people to the gardens these sculptures will subsidise the Real Thing

(I'm not sure that I agree that gardening 'involves' pagodas, bridges, sundials &c in the same way that it involves glasshouses - without which some plants could not be cultivated.)
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

I think another of my problem is that I have never been able to make sense of modern sculptures (i.e. never liked them). By modern I mean other than various figures from ancient up to pre-modern area. Seeing the real things will most likely to make things worse. Yes, I know. I should make effort to broaden my mind etc., but I’d rather spend the energy I have left to understand, if not appreciate, modern/contemporary music. And what’s the connection between the drawings and the objects in Kew gardens? I love looking at drawings of plants. They are, to me, representation of real plants, presented to convey as much information as possible without demonstrating anything personal of the artists.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Such an exhibition is (probably) more likely to be held in an art gallery than a glasshouse. That said, as a novelty that will attract people to the gardens these sculptures will subsidise the Real Thing
                    "So there osnae a God, eh no Mr McHoan?
                    No, Asheley, there isn't.
                    Whit aboot Wombles, Mr McHoan?
                    What's that, Darren?
                    The Wombles, Mr McHoan. Of Wimbledon Common..................Are they real Mr Mc Hoan?
                    Of course they are, he nodded. You've seen them on television, havn't you ?
                    Aye
                    Aye. Well then, of course they're real; real puppets"

Iain Banks The Crow Road

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

If I am perfectly honest:

What are imitation plants doing in Royal Botanical Gardens?
                      What is Ibiza prom doing in the world greatest Classical Music Festival?

I’ll get my coat.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

If I am perfectly honest:

What are imitation plants doing in Royal Botanical Gardens?
                        What is Ibiza prom doing in the world greatest Classical Music Festival?

I’ll get my coat.

What is a picture of a pipe doing in an art gallery ?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          (I'm not sure that I agree that gardening 'involves' pagodas, bridges, sundials &c in the same way that it involves glasshouses - without which some plants could not be cultivated.)
                          Gardening doesn't have to involve "furniture" and "ornament", but it always has for those who could afford either the money to buy such features, or the time to make them. They don't have to be there, but they don't have not to be there, either - it's a part of the "culture" bit of "horticulture". (Just as my reaction to Garden Gnomes is part of the "haughty" bit!)

Looking at the photos, the sculptures look rather like other such glass sculptures that I've seen elsewhere - but they might be much more effective for me in situ. (And far more attractive to me than most Topiary.)
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

What is a picture of a pipe doing in an art gallery ?
                            Never mind that, what are these doing outside IRCAM?

Comment

• doversoul1
                              Ex Member
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Gardening doesn't have to involve "furniture" and "ornament", but it always has for those who could afford either the money to buy such features, or the time to make them. They don't have to be there, but they don't have not to be there, either - it's a part of the "culture" bit of "horticulture". (Just as my reaction to Garden Gnomes is part of the "haughty" bit!)
                              I may be arguing for the sake or argument but does this also apply to publicly funded gardens?

Comment

Working...
                              X