X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I've no idea why...but I get the impression from your open-ended post that it may have something to do with the other thread currently 'live' here. If so, I can personally separate people's morals from their artistic endeavours.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      I've no idea why...but I get the impression from your open-ended post that it may have something to do with the other thread currently 'live' here. If so, I can personally separate people's morals from their artistic endeavours.
      William Mayne’s case was, I think, slightly more complex than other similar cases. To begin with, the subject and the audience of his art were children.
      Catherine Bennett: William Mayne admitted having sexually abused some of the little girls who had visited his home four decades ago. Will anyone, having read such details, want to read stories by Mayne again? Or want their children to read them?

Mayne was, with Alan Garner, regarded as the pillar of the second golden age of English (British) children’s literature. Many authors who came later and wrote memorable books named him as the greatest influence on their writing. It was with an extremely heavy heart (I guessed) that one of the most respected academics in the field (children’s literature) at the time Peter Hunt finally published his decision that Mayne’s books should be banned. Mayne’s books were very much enjoyed by the children who wanted to read more than just good stories and banning his books meant depriving children of some of the best books that had been written for children including books for young children. I can’t remember Hunt’s exact words (so please don’t quote) but his reason was something on the line of ‘I cannot give books to children knowing how the author saw children’.

Mayne died in 2010 and now all his books are back in amazon.
      Last edited by doversoul1; 25-03-19, 20:59.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I thought it was worth resurrecting this thread in the light of an interview with Philip Pullman in The Guardian:

It's not so much about his Boris-views [or Corbyn-views for that matter] but about his diatribe against how the National Curriculum stifles young kids' learning and love of the English language.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Yes, yes, YES.
          Have seen close to what kids will and can and want to do when given the chance to write, READ, act and play music. He is right. Devise a framework in which all that an take place.
          Last edited by DracoM; 29-09-19, 12:50.

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Yes, Pullman’s article is certainly much more fun to read than these.
            Michael Rosen is a writer and broadcaster who has produced many books for children and a few for adults, too

Comment

Working...
            X