• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Nick Gibb's weasel words

In the most recent Music Matters, Tom Service devoted half the programme to the lamentable state of music within the school curriculum. His interview with schools minister Nick Gibb begins about 5 mins from the start. I struggle to find words adequate to describe Gibb's blusterings. Gilding the Lily? No, far too innocuous. Weasel words maybe? A five letter word banned in the House of Commons and beginning with 'L' seems more appropriate.

• MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

"Music is very important in our schools"
    yeah right

What a nasty little lying weasel.

This isn't good for my blood pressure and i'm not a violent man....... but

Lies lies and more lies

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

There's more and more of this newspeak coming from government ministers these days - viz James Brokenshire on The Marr Show [sic] this last Sunday. I wonder how they have the gall to look themselves squarely in the mirror.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

The current Tories are the first government to reduce real terms education spending since records began -

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

I don’t exactly understand how policy comes to be made,or government spending decisions are made, but it does occur to me that the success of private schools in colonising the music industry, across all genres, may be a behind-the - scenes driver in reducing funding into music in state schools.

Added to which, many middle class parents spend small fortunes on their own childrens musical education, and may not be too unhappy that other peoples children aren’t getting subsidised or free opportunities to “ compete” with their own.

Which isn’t to let politicians off the hook, obviously.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            There's more and more of this newspeak coming from government ministers these days - viz James Brokenshire on The Marr Show [sic] this last Sunday. I wonder how they have the gall to look themselves squarely in the mirror.
            The only person on this week's Andrew Marr show for whom I had any respect was the German ambassador* - and he spoke the best English..
            (*And perhaps the American reporter who participated in the review of the papers).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              The only person on this week's Andrew Marr show for whom I had any respect was the German ambassador* - and he spoke the best English..
              (*And perhaps the American reporter who participated in the review of the papers).

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                I don’t exactly understand how policy comes to be made,or government spending decisions are made, but it does occur to me that the success of private schools in colonising the music industry, across all genres, may be a behind-the - scenes driver in reducing funding into music in state schools.

Added to which, many middle class parents spend small fortunes on their own childrens musical education, and may not be too unhappy that other peoples children aren’t getting subsidised or free opportunities to “ compete” with their own.

Which isn’t to let politicians off the hook, obviously.
                Given that those in charge of our education, health and transport don't actually use it themselves it's hardly surprising that they are prepared to destroy things.
                Would you eat at a restaurant where all the staff eat down the road?

I think we are far too lenient with those who are wrecking things like music education and allow them to hide behind "politeness".

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Need to bring back Grammar Schools and the curricula that they used to follow.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    That's a political thing. Grammar schools don't suit all the children.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      So is destroying music education
                      Grammar schools are a popular obsession of those who have litle understanding of education and false memories

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Most schools don't suit all the children.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          And children who got places at the grammar schools might get a reasonable music education. It would still leave the majority in the same situation as now (or worse, with the grammar schools getting higher funding).
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

I don't know whether the problems relate to the EBacc as suggested in the programme. A simpler explanation of some of the issues may simply be funding cuts. It's not just about cutting funding for students wanting to learn an instrument, but cutting out music teachers to save money and balance the books has knock on effects for most of the children and exposure to music and the arts. It makes it very hard to put on concerts, school plays, school musicals etc., which many children, and not necessarily the most musically talented ones, enjoy. Some even participate, which I think could be of great benefit to them.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

I don't know whether the problems relate to the EBacc as suggested in the programme. A simpler explanation of some of the issues may simply be funding cuts. It's not just about cutting funding for students wanting to learn an instrument, but cutting out music teachers to save money and balance the books has knock on effects for most of the children and exposure to music and the arts. It makes it very hard to put on concerts, school plays, school musicals etc., which many children, and not necessarily the most musically talented ones, enjoy. Some even participate, which I think could be of great benefit to them.
                              The EBacc removes Arts subjects from the curriculm which means that schools simply stop doing music
                              Once you stop making something statutory then it will go and not come back.
                              Making everyone argue amongst themselves for funding by making out there is no money is a classic tactic.

Campaign to save arts and technology subjects in schools

Comment

Working...
                              X