X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

A Curious and Involving Case

I recently came across an article on the curious case of a murder in South London in 1987 - the Daniel Morgan case. I dimly recalled the name being mentioned in another context - perhaps Leveson - but knew nothing of the details of the case. It is in fact a case which links several issues and events which have dominated the news in recent decades: police corruption, media corruption, phone-hacking, the Stephen Lawrence case, etc. It is also one of the worst handled cases in the history of the Met, so much so that an independent panel was set up in 2013 to investigate the mishandling (and I think the panel still has to report).

This article gives a brief overview of the history of the case:

In 1987, Daniel Morgan was found dead in a pub car park with axe wounds to the head and £1,000 in his pocket. Now a gripping new podcast is lifting the lid on the most investigated murder in British history

It also alludes to a podcast which has been created to provide a much more detailed survey on the progress of the case, from the background to the original murder up to the present day. I found this very interesting, if at times hard to follow through all the complexity of the detail - it's hard to refer back with podcasts as you can when reading a book. The podcast is here (episode 1 at the bottom of the page):

Whether or not this case and the podcast are suitable topics for this forum I have no idea, though I think the issues raised are sufficiently significant to concern anyone interested in justice in this country.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    I recently came across an article on the curious case of a murder in South London in 1987 - the Daniel Morgan case. I dimly recalled the name being mentioned in another context - perhaps Leveson - but knew nothing of the details of the case. It is in fact a case which links several issues and events which have dominated the news in recent decades: police corruption, media corruption, phone-hacking, the Stephen Lawrence case, etc. It is also one of the worst handled cases in the history of the Met, so much so that an independent panel was set up in 2013 to investigate the mishandling (and I think the panel still has to report).

This article gives a brief overview of the history of the case:

In 1987, Daniel Morgan was found dead in a pub car park with axe wounds to the head and £1,000 in his pocket. Now a gripping new podcast is lifting the lid on the most investigated murder in British history

It also alludes to a podcast which has been created to provide a much more detailed survey on the progress of the case, from the background to the original murder up to the present day. I found this very interesting, if at times hard to follow through all the complexity of the detail - it's hard to refer back with podcasts as you can when reading a book. The podcast is here (episode 1 at the bottom of the page):

Whether or not this case and the podcast are suitable topics for this forum I have no idea, though I think the issues raised are sufficiently significant to concern anyone interested in justice in this country.
    When I first moved into this district in 2004, this murder still held strong legendary associations in the local community, as I learned from when, back then, a friend was presenting monthly jazz gigs at this particular pub, the Golden Lion, and audience regulars would always ask me if I'd seen "the ghost" supposed to haunt the site, whenever I'd parked my bike in that selfsame car park where the deed was done.

Comment

Working...
    X