X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Have just found this : a fifteen minute ppb by the Liberal Party in 1964:

Unless I have listened incorrectly, not one word about the EEC.

Perhaps the idea that Europe has always been the no 1 issue for Liberals is a bit of fake news?

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I think there is plenty of room for alternatives, in the middle and elsewhere. But for much of the general public - the voters - the traditional 'two sides' is enough for them to make up their minds, except when they want to 'protest'. Other party organisations have to make it clear in what way they are different - and hope that will be sufficiently attractive to the electorate.
      But they are rather pushed into that binary choice by FPTP.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        But they are rather pushed into that binary choice by FPTP.
        They are! Of course they are. And one form of differentiation from the two big beneficiaries is to oppose it. But even when there are obvious discrepancies between 'what the people vote for' and what they get - that still isn't a vote winner. Why?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Just getting my supper, Lat - will view that with interest.
          Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
          Have just found this : a fifteen minute ppb by the Liberal Party in 1964:

Perhaps the idea that Europe has always been the no 1 issue for Liberals is a bit of fake news?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

Not an issue in 1964? Heath eventually took us in in 1973. All very posh, weren't they? The Big Idea seemed to be regionalism. They stated the problems pretty well, but didn't really give clear solutions. Still they got 3m votes and 9 MPs (compared with 2.4m votes and 8 MPs for the LibDEms in 2015).

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Not an issue in 1964? Heath eventually took us in in 1973. All very posh, weren't they? The Big Idea seemed to be regionalism. They stated the problems pretty well, but didn't really give clear solutions. Still they got 3m votes and 9 MPs (compared with 2.4m votes and 8 MPs for the LibDEms in 2015).
              Yes - posh. And regionalism almost a decade before the SNP abandoned ultra right wingism to become more than just niche. Most pensioners were poor. There were worries about traffic with car ownership just one sixth or less of what it is now. Nothing much on deregulation. Nothing at all on minority rights or proportional representation. And no populist rallying against multinationals which were big then but not bigger than the democratic process. No - I hadn't realised that the 2015 figures were comparable but it figures. Cricket fans may wish to dig out the 1955 YT clip where John Arlott explains to a businessman and his wife who doesn't like politics why he is standing as a Liberal. He stood again in 1959.

(I've tried to maintain the 1964 lifestyle as best as I can - no car, dishwasher, mobile phone, foreign holidays, sky television etc - bit it's tough at times as others won't follow suit)
              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 02-03-17, 22:58.

Comment

Working...
              X