X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Richard Neville ~ RIP

Sad to read that Richard Neville, editor of OZ(along with Jim Anderson & Felix Dennis) has died of Alzheimer's disease aged 74.

Co-founder and editor of the 60s counterculture magazine Oz, Richard Neville, dies aged 74
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Sorry to hear of this last night. I have fond memories of dropping in to the OZ offices when I lived in Princedale Road in the early '70s. He was quite a card.

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

Must dig out Playpower for a memorial read, years since I read it and I wonder how it has worn.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
        Must dig out Playpower for a memorial read, years since I read it and I wonder how it has worn.
        "Snap", gradus, I was surprised to locate my copy of Play Power with ease - £3 50 as a review hardback copy from Jackson's, Charing X Rd, in 1970; now cheek by jowl on the shelves with John Rechy., James Baldwin, even Colin Wilson!

Sad news about the death of Richard Neville so erudite and eloquent during the social renaissance of the 60s as well as a powerful irritant for the Establishment, including Mary Whitehouse and the Festival of Light and the Tory councillors who managed to get an embargo, for a short time, in the West End production of "Hair" with the subsequent consequence of ridding the world of theatre from the interference of the Lord Chamberlain's Office. Neville helped to radicalise so well the alliance of the New Left and the 'underground' of communal living, alternate media - the International Times - street theatre, poetry, love and revolution; our memorial at the end of the 60s, is now a suitable tribute to him: 'Goodbye baby and amen'. RIP

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Complete set of OZ magazines online here: http://ro.uow.edu.au/ozlondon/

Comment

Working...
          X