• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    "Some" is the vital word here; if anyone could successfully explain to me what's supposedly "sexually provocative" about a woman walking awkwardly in uncomfortable shoes that might make her look as though she's about to fall over, I would be more than a little surprised.
    I think that the idea is that, as it pushes a woman's backside out a little more, and because she has to stick her chest out more to compensate (and probably something to do with the effect on calf muscles, too), some heterosexual men are thereby reduced to slavering wrecks. Don't know if the same effect is also supposed to happen to some homosexual women, too - I wouldn't've imagined so, but then I've never experienced the effect it is supposed to have on me, either.

Personally speaking, it's the sight of a woman absorbed in a book, or attending raptly to a Mozart Quintet, or gazing at a Turner landscape that does it for me. Without, necessarily the "slavering" bit. But I'm going off-topic.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I think that the idea is that, as it pushes a woman's backside out a little more, and because she has to stick her chest out more to compensate (and probably something to do with the effect on calf muscles, too), some heterosexual men are thereby reduced to slavering wrecks. Don't know if the same effect is also supposed to happen to some homosexual women, too - I wouldn't've imagined so, but then I've never experienced the effect it is supposed to have on me, either.

Personally speaking, it's the sight of a woman absorbed in a book, or attending raptly to a Mozart Quintet, or gazing at a Turner landscape that does it for me. Without, necessarily the "slavering" bit. But I'm going off-topic.
      I have to say I have the same non-turn on reaction to high heels on women; I'd hazard a guess that why they are seen as sexually provocative is that the men for whom they are, are able to justify their displacement of being turned on by a women being rendered more vulnerable - a kind of secondarily invoked sexual response, power (or potential power over the woman) being the stimulus.

Maybe those of us who fail to thus react are not stimulated by the idea of having power over another.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        I have to say I have the same non-turn on reaction to high heels on women; I'd hazard a guess that why they are seen as sexually provocative is that the men for whom they are, are able to justify their displacement of being turned on by a women being rendered more vulnerable - a kind of secondarily invoked sexual response, power (or potential power over the woman) being the stimulus.

Maybe those of us who fail to thus react are not stimulated by the idea of having power over another.
        I think that you may well be right, S_A - and I'm sure that that was why I was so appalled that gender politics were deemed to have regressed so much that an employer found nothing at all objectionable in obliging its female employees to wear the things.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

OK, I'll take the fhg word for that, then!

Yes, you are rather. No objections here, though!

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

I guess that this may well be the answer, or at least a significant part thereof, although it would not especially have occurred to me.

Again, I daresay that this is correct.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

A few years ago I was out and about with my daughter.
              She was wearing high heels and one suddenly snapped off.
              I couldn't help but start singing 'you picked a fine time to leave me Lucille".
              It was wasted,she didn't know what I was on about,she didn't know the song.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

I think that you may well be right, S_A - and I'm sure that that was why I was so appalled that gender politics were deemed to have regressed so much that an employer found nothing at all objectionable in obliging its female employees to wear the things.
                Although - on further reflection, I would hope that it isn't true in every situation (that many men "just" find the posture that results "alluring"); certainly the case when a woman has to wear such shoes in order to secure and keep a job - some very definite power play involved here.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  A few years ago I was out and about with my daughter.
                  She was wearing high heels and one suddenly snapped off.
                  I couldn't help but start singing 'you picked a fine time to leave me Lucille".
                  It was wasted,she didn't know what I was on about,she didn't know the song.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Personally speaking, it's the sight of a woman absorbed in a book, or attending raptly to a Mozart Quintet, or gazing at a Turner landscape that does it for me. Without, necessarily the "slavering" bit.
                    So now you know, girls, what it takes to get ferney's attention (and boys, too)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                      So now you know, girls, what it takes to get ferney's attention (and boys, too)
                      Oh, crumbs! Perhaps I should add (before the queues start to build - in the other direction) that these days I need a month's notice and a prescription renewal.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Isn't the commentary here becoming rather stilted?

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Clincher.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                "here's my Achilles heel".

Just had to get that one in somewhere, no? I'm only surprised that it's taken this long...

Comment

Working...
                                X