X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenilex
    • Nov 2010

Louis XIV and the idea of the gentleman

As I watch the remarkable ballet programme "The King Who Invented Ballet" I am struck by the persistence of seventeenth-century ideals in the modern world.

My family antecedents in Vienna and St Petersburg probably were instrumental in forming my prejudice that ballet and horse riding are essential skills for anyone aspiring to gentility.

I am delighted to have my ideas set in context by such an excellent piece of scholarship and such a beautiful visual experience.
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

I was riveted by the entire programme. I've seen David Bintley ballets before, but this was by far the best. Without the wonderful documentary beforehand it might have been quite difficult to understand, though.

I've always known something about Louis XIV and the beginnings of ballet as we know it, but this programme filled in many gaps. I was looking forward to it, but didn't expect to be quite so captivated.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

What a most interesting programme‼ The little I know about Louis XIV and ballet is from French Baroque opera and I often thought it would be good to know more about French Baroque ballet.

I have no knowledge about ballet and thought at the beginning of the actual ballet production that the music was rather indistinct and the duet of the king and the moon (?) was rather ordinary but I was very glad I didn’t give up there.

I hope greenilex won’t mind my posting it on the Early Music Show board. The programme may be of interest to French Baroque opera fans.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by greenilex View Post

My family antecedents in Vienna and St Petersburg probably were instrumental in forming my prejudice that ballet and horse riding are essential skills for anyone aspiring to gentility.

And here come the horses - Lucy Worsley's Reins of Power: the Art of Horse Dancing. BBC4 9pm Tuesday 15th September.

Even today, people aspiring to the upper middle or upper classes will send their children to riding and ballet lessons.

Comment

Working...
        X