X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    No. You re perhaps right that PR by itself doesn’t lead to dog wagging, but it would appear now that it’s Netanyahu’s determination to stay in power which “requires” him to seek support from extremists in the government. Clearly I don’t know all the details but my impression is that now there are more moderate voices in Israel who would now perhaps like to see different behaviour from the government as a whole. You might say that opinion has shifted slightly in the electorate [I’m not sure] but the “leaders” can’t change direction or be ousted as long as there is right wing support from just a few members.
    It would be salutary to think so. However, my thought is that the Israeli public protesting against its government for not securing the release of the hostages comes more from a "we want them back; why haven't we got them?" attitude than from wanting to end the war.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      No. You re perhaps right that PR by itself doesn’t lead to dog wagging, but it would appear now that it’s Netanyahu’s determination to stay in power which “requires” him to seek support from extremists in the government.
      I'm not concerned - in this discussion - with the current situation in Israel. I merely say that PR had nothing to do with it.

I would OTOH point out that FPTP delivered a large outright majority for Labour with 33.7% of the vote gaining 63.2% of the seats; the LibDems won 12.2% of the vote and 11.1% of the seats; Reform UK won 14.2% of the vote, 0.8% of the seats. This was the first election for the new brand of Reform UK.

Fast forward 10 years and imagine what might happen under FPTP if Reform gains 33% of the vote.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
      X