X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Well, who knows with the Bolshies in No 10 now!
    They could make climate change even worse!!!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
      Host
      • Jun 2018

Well, who knows with the Bolshies in No 10 now!
      Courtesy of Sean Reynard, this rather jolly little song / earworm had me in stitches... "JEREMY COOORRRBEEEIIIGHHHNNNN!!!!!!"

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
        Courtesy of Sean Reynard, this rather jolly little song / earworm had me in stitches...
        It's a sign of our times that all political leaders lend themselves to ridicule by opponents (and sometimes by allies too), There was some unease in LIb Dem ranks at the antics of their leader ("not a great advert" to remain on topic!) - but in this case they seem to have paid off. Perhaps self-ridicule is acceptable? Mr J stuck on a zip wire seems not to have had quite the same effect as Mr D on a paddleboard, the difference being laughing at someone and laughing with them, perhaps.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
          • Mar 2007

Stop the bots - they're a damned nuisance, and take up forum bandwidth.
          I am trying .....

Comment

• AuntDaisy
            Host
            • Jun 2018

It's a sign of our times that all political leaders lend themselves to ridicule by opponents (and sometimes by allies too), There was some unease in LIb Dem ranks at the antics of their leader ("not a great advert" to remain on topic!) - but in this case they seem to have paid off. Perhaps self-ridicule is acceptable? Mr J stuck on a zip wire seems not to have had quite the same effect as Mr D on a paddleboard, the difference being laughing at someone and laughing with them, perhaps.
            Very brave or foolish of Mr D to risk the water. I think you're right about laughing with them.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Very brave or foolish of Mr D to risk the water. I think you're right about laughing with them.
              If nothing else, Ed Davey did provide some welcome light relief during what was, by and large, a dreadfully grim and occasionally downright unpleasant election campaign. The policy of concentrating his party's resources on seats where its chances of success were greatest seems to have paid off handsomely, and - unlike his deluded predecessor - he never suggested that he would become Prime Minister. I do wonder, however, whether his party's success under FPTP might cool its enthusiasm for a change in the voting system.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I think what he succeeded in doing (apparently, judging by the results) was in showing a serious and a human side. Messages did get out, for example about sewage dumping, which resonated particularly in some constituencies.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  I do wonder, however, whether his party's success under FPTP might cool its enthusiasm for a change in the voting system.
                  ... and wonder whether Another Party's relative lack of success under FPTP compared to what it might have achieved with a proportional system - might cause him (and others) some moments of worried thought...

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... and wonder whether Another Party's relative lack of success under FPTP compared to what it might have achieved with a proportional system - might cause him (and others) some moments of worried thought...
                    That, indeed, has been a subject for debate within our family. I personally take the view that in the abstract there is either a strong case for PR or there isn't - regardless of any recent events. I believe there is because FPTP doesn't reflect the (varied) opinion in the UK and that isn't acceptable in a democracy. Amusingly, the Lib Dems' proportion of the vote is almost exactly reflected in the number of seats won.

Should FPTP be retained purely because PR might deliver a result we don't want? Is that what an electoral system is for? Should we rejoice because Labour won a huge majority or will the last person to leave Britain please turn out the lights?

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

I think what he succeeded in doing (apparently, judging by the results) was in showing a serious and a human side. Messages did get out, for example about sewage dumping, which resonated particularly in some constituencies.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

On the subject of PR though, the French system has something going for it because it allows people to see how the first preference votes went before choosing their second preference. It also - it seems - knocks heads together in agreeing what they don't want.

Given the general apathy of the British public it might be a step too far to expect them to vote twice on succeeding weeks. Even with PR they'd probably struggle to think of a second preference

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

On the subject of PR though, the French system has something going for it because it allows people to see how the first preference votes went before choosing their second preference. It also - it seems - knocks heads together in agreeing what they don't want.

Given the general apathy of the British public it might be a step too far to expect them to vote twice on succeeding weeks. Even with PR they'd probably struggle to think of a second preference
                          Didn't the result of our own general election show that FPTP can be used to make it perfectly clear what the British electorate doesn't want?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Didn't the result of our own general election show that FPTP can be used to make it perfectly clear what the British electorate doesn't want?
                            Yes, but they didn't have a chance to vote again!

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

There is that, but at a much simpler level it meant far more people, across a wide spectrum of demographics, knew he and his party existed. Actions speak louder than words and a picture is even better... especially if it is shared, as they are relentlessly these days. If no-one knows you exist they can't even begin considering casting a vote in that direction.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

That, indeed, has been a subject for debate within our family. I personally take the view that in the abstract there is either a strong case for PR or there isn't - regardless of any recent events.
                                I used to be a strong supporter of PR, but now I'm not so sure. The Scottish parliament is I believe elected by a form of PR - curious though it is - and the SNP has tried to manipulate it so that they get "absolute" power. Another government with a form of PR is the Israeli Knesset. That seems to result in tails wagging the dog - so these two examples have made me reconsider to an extent whether PR can be made to work well. Countries with govenments which need to rely on coalition between a multiplicity of different parties also don't seem always to be stable enough, or to have a consistent matching of outcomes to what the electorate may seem to want.

Comment

Working...
                                X