X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    Well said. There's much that's positive about Britain, that can be used for improvement, hence so many people still want to come here to live.

The idea that the time requires a hero in shining armour to save us from disaster is very dangerous. This is what happened in Germany and Japan in the 1930s.
    There's also much about Britain that requires improvement, but we shall probably manage to continue staggering on without resorting to extremist measures. Let's not forget, also, that a lot of people want to come here to live (and hopefully work) because they expect their knowledge of English to improve their prospects.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Well said. There's much that's positive about Britain, that can be used for improvement, hence so many people still want to come here to live.

The idea that the time requires a hero in shining armour to save us from disaster is very dangerous. This is what happened in Germany and Japan in the 1930s.
      "And yet, if you try telling that to many people......." etc etc ad nauseam.

If it was just the youngsters, Gen Zee or whatever, maybe one could understand it following 50 or 60 years of mass consumerism and belief that capitalism would overcome all our most basic problems, but I find myself disgusted with many of my own baby boomer generation who have effectively elected to pull up the drawbridge behind us - and not only in this country, as we now see.

Comment

• burning dog
        • Dec 2010

I saw an advert on the Internet today from Reform which said "FEEZE IMMIGRATION"

Broken Britain was a phrase coined by David Cameron if I recall correctly. He then attempted to smash it to smithereens

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
          I saw an advert on the Internet today from Reform which said "FEEZE IMMIGRATION"
          Stop The Bats! (or do I mean Oats?)

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Stop The Bats! (or do I mean Oats?)
            Stop the bots - they're a damned nuisance, and take up forum bandwidth.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Stop the bots - they're a damned nuisance, and take up forum bandwidth.
              Hear! Hear!

Comment

• Retune
                • Feb 2022

Another strange one today, a personalised letter from my 'future self' in 2044, explaining how I'd made a terrible mistake by voting Reform back in 2024, ushering in two decades of dystopian rule by Labour, who apparently did terrible things like spending more on welfare. If this is the demographic the Conservatives have me down in, I think their algorithm needs a bit of work.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Retune View Post
                  Another strange one today, a personalised letter from my 'future self' in 2044, explaining how I'd made a terrible mistake by voting Reform back in 2024, ushering in two decades of dystopian rule by Labour, who apparently did terrible things like spending more on welfare. If this is the demographic the Conservatives have me down in, I think their algorithm needs a bit of work.
                  I doubt if a Reform government would do much for Radio 3 - maybe have Rule Britannia on at the start of Breakfast each morning to force listeners out of their beds to grab for the off switch.

Comment

• Retune
                    • Feb 2022

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    I doubt if a Reform government would do much for Radio 3 - maybe have Rule Britannia on at the start of Breakfast each morning to force listeners out of their beds to grab for the off switch.
                    I was once in the vicinity of a street protest organised by some sort of militant pro-Brexit group, with demonstrators ranging from Reform types of a certain age, to slightly younger skinheads looking for an opportunity to put the boot in to any passing Remainers (luckily I didn't blow my cover). They had a tannoy rigged up, blaring out 'patriotic' music like the telescreens in Nineteen eighty-four when Oceania has fought off a surprise attack by Eurasia. Jerusalem, which I normally enjoy, has never sounded so chilling.

Comment

• burning dog
                      • Dec 2010

I also got a letter from my 2044 self. It was in Cyrillic text but when translated it was warning me not to vote for Farage in 2029

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

I also got a letter from my 2044 self. It was in Cyrillic text but when translated it was warning me not to vote for Farage in 2029
                        I won’t comment on the advice, but I have had one or two seemingly innocuous messages in different contexts - usually musical - from “my future self”.

While these may be either amusing or annoying should I assume that most of these are actually harmful - for example sent by Russian trolls or bots of some kind, or is this just a new “fashion” which some promoters are now adopting?

Comment

• burning dog
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          I won’t comment on the advice, but I have had one or two seemingly innocuous messages in different contexts - usually musical - from “my future self”.

While these may be either amusing or annoying should I assume that most of these are actually harmful - for example sent by Russian trolls or bots of some kind, or is this just a new “fashion” which some promoters are now adopting?
                          The "letter from your future self" does seem to be an adverising tool these days

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Crumbs! Are they suggesting we'll all be Russian subjects by 2029?
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• burning dog
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Crumbs! Are they suggesting we'll all be Russian subjects by 2029?
                              by 2044! The email was a spoof from a fellow worker! Evidently he recieved a similar message to Retune

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

by 2044! The email was a spoof from a fellow worker! Evidently he recieved a similar message to Retune
                                Well, who knows with the Bolshies in No 10 now!

Comment

Working...
                                X