X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Something a bit odd about this. The Guardian's newsletter has a piece by John Curtice on why the public's trust in politicians hasn't been lower in over 50 years. His analysis includes:

"Lying politicians, “Partygate” gatherings in No 10 during Covid lockdowns, and crumbling public services haven’t helped. But Curtice says the biggest factor is the UK leaving the EU – and the government’s seeming inability to “get Brexit done”.

The survey found that 71% believe the economy is worse off as a result of leaving the EU, up from 51% in 2019. Now just 24% of people think Britain should be outside the EU, down from 36% in 2019."

All this has happened under a right-wing Tory government and yet the public reaction is to swing even further to the right by abandoning the Tories in favour of Reform.
    For a lot of people Reform probably represents as near as dammit to what might have been allowed had Boris Johnson and his friends been allowed to stay in situ and have their way. Many grass roots Tories saw Sunak as having been foisted upon them. All such a change over maybe 50 years from a time when "a real Labour government" was colloqually used to refer back to the postwar Attlee government, which Labour under Corbyn was nearest to replicating in its policies. That chance was of course "cancelled" by the usual suspects, so bringing about the inevitability of the only alternative (acceptable to the Establishment), which had been the Tory Right and Brexit/Reform, being transferred to Starmer's "changed" [sic] labour Party. .

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

At least my application for a postal vote resulted in some action. Today I had a letter telling me that the actual postal ballot papers would be sent out in a week or so, with a deadline date to check in case they don't arrive. In that case there are people to contact for corrective action.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        there are people to contact for corrective action.
        I'm sure it's nowhere as scary as it sounds ....

Comment

• duncan
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          All this has happened under a right-wing Tory government and yet the public reaction is to swing even further to the right by abandoning the Tories in favour of Reform.
          Ben Ansell points out it has been demonstrated numerous times in European elections since the 1970s that mainstream right parties moving further rightwards does not neutralise the radical right but can increase their popularity. "If anything, centre-right parties becoming more anti-immigration appears to encourage individuals to switch their votes to parties further right". When bigotry is normalised why vote for semi-skimmed version (current Conservatives) when the full-fat (Reform UK) is available?

Deadline for applying for a postal vote is the 19th of June. https://www.gov.uk/apply-postal-vote

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by duncan View Post

Ben Ansell points out it has been demonstrated numerous times in European elections since the 1970s that mainstream right parties moving further rightwards does not neutralise the radical right but can increase their popularity.
            Thank you for mentioning that. Strange indeed are the ways of voters
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by duncan View Post

Ben Ansell points out it has been demonstrated numerous times in European elections since the 1970s that mainstream right parties moving further rightwards does not neutralise the radical right but can increase their popularity. "If anything, centre-right parties becoming more anti-immigration appears to encourage individuals to switch their votes to parties further right". When bigotry is normalised why vote for semi-skimmed version (current Conservatives) when the full-fat (Reform UK) is available?
              [/URL]
              The point is surely that when a radical left alternative to orthodoxy is removed by deliberate ideological subterfuge and exclusion by Labour wanting to present itself as a "safe" alternative to the Tories with proven failed policies from the past the disillusioned electorate will seek their radical alternatives on the Right. This is what could have happened under Kinnock had the rotting of the existing system reached the stage it now has.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

The point is surely that when a radical left alternative to orthodoxy is removed by deliberate ideological subterfuge and exclusion by Labour wanting to present itself as a "safe" alternative to the Tories with proven failed policies from the past the disillusioned electorate will seek their radical alternatives on the Right. This is what could have happened under Kinnock had the rotting of the existing system reached the stage it now has.
                Historically all approaches have eventually 'failed' in that they end up with the electorate vaguely wanting a change. In a democracy, even a 'flawed' one like the UK's, general directions change gradually.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

My poll card arrived this morning. It lists 21 acceptable forms of photographic identification, Surely there aren't that many people who can't manage to produce at least one of these at the polling station?

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    My poll card arrived this morning. It lists 21 acceptable forms of photographic identification, Surely there aren't that many people who can't manage to produce at least one of these at the polling station?
                    Young people have far fewer options, as their travel passes are not acceptable, and many would have no reason to have either driving licence or passport. The PASS card is subject to application charges, depending on how it is acquired. The CitizenCard version is available free through schools, colleges etc I think but that doesn't help those not still in education.
                    The House of Lords did try to get this imbalance addressed while the bill was going through parliament, but unsuccessfully.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I'm sure it's nowhere as scary as it sounds ....
                      Ah - but you don't know Miss [or Mr] Whiplash!

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        Ah - but you don't know Miss [or Mr] Whiplash!
                        Unfortunately, (s)he doesn't appear to be standing in my constituency - unless it's under a pseudonym, of course.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

I was going to suggest that people opposed to the photo-ID requirements could form a Ban Voter ID Party, but then realized that they wouldn't be able to vote for it except by post or via a proxy.

Comment

• smittims
                            • Aug 2022

Catch 22, eh?

In the same way, how could an 'anti-democracy party' ever get elected?

OOPs, silly question. They'd do it by pretending to believe in democracy, just like all these people one hears saying 'I love Classical music' (oh yeah...)

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

My polling card arrived yesterday, and informed me that I could apply for a postal vote if the application arrived by EOP yesterday.

Good thing the post arrived in the morning.......
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• alywin
                                • Apr 2011

Lucky you. I wonder if the good folk of East Dulwich ever got their postal vote forms?

(Thought I'd bump this since the time is drawing near)

Comment

Working...
                                X