Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Anyway, is it really worth getting your knickers in a twist over? The real problem is that they have guests in the first place, not that the week's chats are all recorded in one go, or even that they might all be recorded in January to be used throughout the year.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Habemus caput, however and notwithstanding. Ave capiti?

John Crace: The Chris Patten show has been unpopular in Westminster for years, but Fairhead has made an excellent premiere

' "I want to know if you're going to be like Lord Patten because if you are, you will be a catastrophe," said Philip Davies, MP for Shipley.'
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

John Crace: The Chris Patten show has been unpopular in Westminster for years, but Fairhead has made an excellent premiere

there's only one word to summarise that article - catty is too polite

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Fairly standard for the Guardian politics sketch.

But I do miss Michael Fabricant's hair

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
            http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ss-westminster

there's only one word to summarise that article - catty is too polite
            It was written by a features writer whose principal aim appears to be to show how witty he is. He would probably have taken a similar line if it had been a man. Guardian Features Editor responsible for asking him to write it? Is there a more thoughtful account somewhere?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
              • Jun 2014

I'm not really sure what the members of the committee expected the poor woman to say and what is the real point of a very mediocre group of politicians directing almost impossible-to-answer questions at an interviewee for a job, anyway.

I mean what will the public actually learn from any of this apart from the fact that Ms Fairhead has a truly delightful smile which clearly disarmed some of the male members on the committee? She is obviously highly intelligent as well, but we knew this already.

Maybe the idea is that the proposed appointee might suddenly blurt out in a haze of mental fatigue ... 'okay, okay, I admit it, I'm simply not up to the job!' ?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

It just makes it clear that the appointment has nothing to do with people at the BBC, that the BBC is a publicly funded servce, held to account by Parliament in the form of the PSCCMS (some of whom would rather have liked the Jeremy Paxman job on Newsnight).

Apart from that ...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

did they cover why she left Pearson Group?
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• agingjb
                    • Apr 2007

Since, as they claim, the vast majority of the contributors to the for3 forums have long ago stopped listening to most of Radio 3's output, especially in the mornings, why do they continue to complain about things which they cannot possibly have heard?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by agingjb View Post
                      Since, as they claim, the vast majority of the contributors to the for3 forums have long ago stopped listening to most of Radio 3's output, especially in the mornings, why do they continue to complain about things which they cannot possibly have heard?
                      Because they can't possibly hear things they would have been able to listen to had it not been for what they find objectionable in Radio 3's output, which some of them have explained at some length.

(But I guess you knew that, really).

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

it is not that i am a sucker for punishment but a creature of habit and i turn the radio on in the morning expecting R3 to play music ...... call me old fashioned eh ....

it is a small deceit but Suits@Aunt have a track record when it comes to self presentation, sex lies videotape and wars, never mind presenting Aunt as a popular institution ...but look at what they have done to R3 ... it is a small deceit but also an indication of character that has a wilful way with the truth of things ...
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

If there is a major, major complaint, which surmounts all the day-to-day details, it is that Radio 3 has made the mornings so naff, 'Hello Mum' childish and unlistenable that listeners are deprived of anything decent to listen to. They will continue to complain about that until it's put right.

It is a Catch-22 situation to say 'you can't complain if you don't listen' and then, if people listen and complain, 'why do you listen if you're only going to complain'? (because YOU (whoever) will say you can't complain if you don't listen).

I listen between 8am and 9am as a monitoring exercise, and therefore am liable to be told 'you only listen so that you can complain'.

I hope that answers the question.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

For the same reason that you don't need to keep eating junk food to know how bad it tastes.

Comment

• clive heath

However disappointing Radio3 is and I switched on today to a Hungarian Dance, God Help Us, for live radio what else is there that is even half decent? Suggestions welcome.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Your CD library?
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X