X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Radio 4: A Law unto Themselves

I listened this morning to this 30-minute Helena Kennedy interview of solicitor Gareth Peirce, with at least some sense of reassurance that there remain a handful of principle and integrity, selflessly operating the system on behalf of victims of injustice in this country today:

• aeolium
    • Nov 2010

Yes, she's excellent (as is Imran Khan imv) & deserves her high reputation. Her words towards the end of the programme pointed to current and impending concerns for suspects and defence lawyers though, re detention for extended period without charge, control orders and people being kept under suspicion and under a kind of house arrest without being brought to trial (she might also have mentioned cuts in legal aid).

R4's legal programmes are I think among its best offerings. I particularly like Unreliable Evidence where Clive Anderson sheds his talk-show host persona to preside over discussions of complex legal issues with experts.

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
      R4's legal programmes are I think among its best offerings. I particularly like Unreliable Evidence where Clive Anderson sheds his talk-show host persona to preside over discussions of complex legal issues with experts.

Law in Action is also a programme worth catching, particularly the recent discussion of copyright in music and the flagrant plagiarism by pop groups of JS Bach.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

Law in Action is also a programme worth catching, particularly the recent discussion of copyright in music and the flagrant plagiarism by pop groups of JS Bach.
        And there I was thinking Bach was out of copyright! Or has the EU now extended it to 'Life + 500 years'??

Didn't somebody say something like "Minor composers borrow. Great ones steal wholesale"?

Not of course that I'm saying that these pop groups are all great composers...
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
        X