X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clive heath
    • Sep 2024

The International Space Satellite and the Perseids

With these fairly late sunsets and extended dusks looking for the ISS is limited but it seems that from the 2nd of August to the 11th there will be quite a few sightings over London. To check on your own area, go to

Satellite predictions and other astronomical data customised for your location.

and first click on "Change your observing location", all I did was to put in my UK postcode and on agreement my location appears in the top R.H. box

Then click on "ISS" and you will get a list of transits for your location for the next 12 days ( all far too late for me, here ) but click on the R.H. arrow by the date range and you will get the next 12 days or so. The best are those with the "highest point" altitude near 90º which is overhead. If the initial or final altitude is not 10º this is probably because the satellite is coming out of or going into the earth's shadow. The other point about watching in this period ( 10th to 14th August ) is the arrival of the peak period of the Perseids, the famous meteor shower.

"The shower is visible from mid-July each year, with the peak in activity between 9 and 14 August, depending on the particular location of the stream. During the peak, the rate of meteors reaches 60 or more per hour." (wiki)

This year the almost full moon will limit the effectiveness of your watching rising as it does from about 7.30pm on the 11th and later by 30 mins approx. on subsequent nights. However if a transit occurs before the moon is fully in the sky there should be a good opportunity for meteor and ISS spotting.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Many thanks for this, clive - for the past three years the Perseid shower has been obscured by cloud cover wherever I've been, so my fingers are crossed for this year. (Apologies for any typos!)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Great thread title!

It occurred to me it might be the name of a 70s revival prog rock band - but thank the Lord, it's about astronomy !
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• clive heath

Just seen the ISS over west London and it'll be almost overhead again at 2309 hrs. If it's clear tomorrow night the transit is at 2234hrs and on Wednesday 2135 hrs. Didn't see any meteorites!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Great thread title!

It occurred to me it might be the name of a 70s revival prog rock band - but thank the Lord, it's about astronomy !
          Whereas I was searching for a reference to Terry Thomas..

Comment

Working...
          X