X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Start The Week - 21 April

Today's programme was well worth hearing - a discussion between James Lovelock, George Monbiot and Joanna Haigh on environmental science and practice, led off by now-regular presenter Anne McElvoy.

You will not want to have misssed this, believe me!

Anne McElvoy looks to the future with James Lovelock, Joanna Haigh and George Monbiot.
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Thanks for the tip, SA.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      Thanks for the tip, SA.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Lovelock's 'Gaia' hypothesis has always appealed to me, though I believe he has, of late, become more pessimistic about the planet's future: http://www.theguardian.com/theguardi....climatechange

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
          Lovelock's 'Gaia' hypothesis has always appealed to me, though I believe he has, of late, become more pessimistic about the planet's future: http://www.theguardian.com/theguardi....climatechange
          Monbiot launched into an attack on this, which Lovelock took in remarkably good spirit. After a bit of arm-twisting he gave his prediction on how much longer he thinks humankind has near the end of the programme.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Today's programme was well worth hearing - a discussion between James Lovelock, George Monbiot and Joanna Haigh on environmental science and practice, led off by now-regular presenter Anne McElvoy.

You will not want to have misssed this, believe me!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0415h9t
            Thanks for the heads up, SA. I found it interesting, but McElvoy talked and interrupted too much - often breaking into a participant's argument just as it was getting interesting. I haven't heard this programme very often but I believe that Andrew Marr was better at keeping a discussion going as opposed to prompting new points from the individuals present. It is a fault often with 'presenters'. Indeed I wonder if just recording a discussion between the three without any 'chair' would have been more interesting.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

There's a shortened repeat on tonight at 9.30.

Comment

• amateur51

Monbiot got a modest kicking from an agricultural scientist on Farming Today This Week on R4 early on Saturday, I think.

It didn't faze him, of course

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Monbiot got a modest kicking from an agricultural scientist on Farming Today This Week on R4 early on Saturday, I think.

It didn't faze him, of course
                  Monbiot gives the lie to the reactionaries' claims about environmentalists being full of woolly thinking - especially in today's discussion, and not just his remarks about hillside damage done by sheep!

Comment

• amateur51

Monbiot gives the lie to the reactionaries' claims about environmentalists being full of woolly thinking - especially in today's discussion, and not just his remarks about hillside damage done by sheep!
                    He was rehearsing that argument on Saturday. Go George!

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                      Thanks for the heads up, SA. I found it interesting, but McElvoy talked and interrupted too much - often breaking into a participant's argument just as it was getting interesting. I haven't heard this programme very often but I believe that Andrew Marr was better at keeping a discussion going as opposed to prompting new points from the individuals present. It is a fault often with 'presenters'. Indeed I wonder if just recording a discussion between the three without any 'chair' would have been more interesting.
                      I was listening to today's programme and found her unbearable - interrupting and talking over the contributors. I seem to recall another programme last autumn in which she was doing the same to Mark Elder, who was trying to introduce an obscure Offenbach operetta he was conducting.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
                        I was listening to today's programme and found her unbearable - interrupting and talking over the contributors. I seem to recall another programme last autumn in which she was doing the same to Mark Elder, who was trying to introduce an obscure Offenbach operetta he was conducting.
                        Compare this with tonight's Night Waves with Matthew Sweet interviewing Peter Brook. I kept expecting him to interrupt the latter's long, discursive responses. Thankfully, he didn't. Kudos to him. A fascinating man.

Comment

Working...
                        X