X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    It's very good news for the selfish and uncaring.
    Yes you're right of course

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Yes you're right of course
      When you say 'our good news' - whose 'good news'? Our/My council tax is up about 2% on last year.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

That's probably very good news for those who depend on council services which would otherwise have to be cut.

How else to plug the gap except by increasing council tax?

Set an illegal budget, perhaps...

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
          That's probably very good news for those who depend on council services which would otherwise have to be cut.
          I noted the irony in S-A's reply, hence I used the quotes: but I was querying who he was referring to when he wrote: "sharing our good news of a further non-increase in Council Tax. Third year running here, I think!"
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Increased here in Northumberland - Labour dominated council - so not keen on taking the government's council tax freeze bribe.

OG

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I noted the irony in S-A's reply, hence I used the quotes: but I was querying who he was referring to when he wrote: "sharing our good news of a further non-increase in Council Tax. Third year running here, I think!"
              To be honest I just felt relief that one of my costs was not to go up, being retired on a diminishing budget; lots of people are far worse off than me.

Comment

• Wallace

Good point about the letter having an effect while the email doesn't. And the brick is is a spiffing wheeze.

Having problems with service from an organisation, I once wrote to the Managing Director's wife asking her to bend the ear of her husband regarding my problem. I did not know if he had a wife but I found out where he lived and addressed my letter to Mrs MD marking it private and confidential. The service problems were resolved rapidly but I never found out if my letter to Mrs MD made the difference.

Comment

• mangerton
                  • Nov 2010

Council tax in Scotland has not increased since 2007.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    To be honest I just felt relief that one of my costs was not to go up, being retired on a diminishing budget; lots of people are far worse off than me.
                    It works both ways, doesn't it? There's no direct correlation between an increase in council tax and improved (or maintained) services. It seems we are to get an 'arena' which will hold 12,000 people. It will revolutionise/galvanise the Bristol economy. Whatever it hosts, I could never imagine wanting to attend anything that attracted 12,000 people. I'm sure someone will explain how this will not cost a penny to the council tax payer. And even if it does, it's an 'investment' that will bring returns so we shall (all) be better off in the long run.

I would prefer to see the long-promised revamp of the Colston Hall.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

It works both ways, doesn't it? There's no direct correlation between an increase in council tax and improved (or maintained) services. It seems we are to get an 'arena' which will hold 12,000 people. It will revolutionise/galvanise the Bristol economy. Whatever it hosts, I could never imagine wanting to attend anything that attracted 12,000 people. I'm sure someone will explain how this will not cost a penny to the council tax payer. And even if it does, it's an 'investment' that will bring returns so we shall (all) be better off in the long run.

I would prefer to see the long-promised revamp of the Colston Hall.
                      You obviously don't appreciate, ff - it's all about THE EXPERIENCE, see?

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

...There's no direct correlation between an increase in council tax and improved (or maintained) services...
                        No. But if you have had a reduction in your central government grant reduced to a point where you cannot finance even the services you are required to provide, there's no other (legal) way of meeting the shortfall except by an increase in council tax:

Liverpool city council, with the highest deprivation score of 43.45, is suffering cuts of 27.1%. Hart district council, with the lowest deprivation score of 4.47, is facing cuts of 1.5%.

Of the 14 councils in England which are receiving an increase in funding, 13 have Tory MPs. These include parliamentary constituencies in Surrey represented by four cabinet ministers – Michael Gove, Chris Grayling, Philip Hammond and Jeremy Hunt.

It seems we are to get an 'arena' which will hold 12,000 people. It will revolutionise/galvanise the Bristol economy. Whatever it hosts, I could never imagine wanting to attend anything that attracted 12,000 people. I'm sure someone will explain how this will not cost a penny to the council tax payer. And even if it does, it's an 'investment' that will bring returns so we shall (all) be better off in the long run.
                        I wouldn't be interested in such a venue, either - I wouldn't even be interested in the furthest seats a concert hall as large as the Bridgewater or Symphony Hall.

But people do want to to attend these places. We have an 11,000 seat Arena (built before the present round of cuts, funded I don't know how) and it is very popular with people who like that sort of thing. It would blinkered and even elitist to claim that this was of no advantage to the city. At the very least, it stops people having to go to Manchester.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

I agree with all that - the relative reductions in grant have been atrocious

It would blinkered and even elitist to claim that this was of no advantage to the city. At the very least, it stops people having to go to Manchester.
                          I wasn't saying that: I was responding to:

with a different point, namely, that a raise in council tax didn't guarantee better services, or fewer cuts, since the increase in revenue could be spent on other things.

Comment

Working...
                          X