• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Is the Scmidt-Isserstedt set still available? I can only find it on Amazon for those with very deep pockets. A candidate for reissue on Eloquence I would have thought.
    The complete symphonies, piano concertos, violin concerto (Szeryng) and 3 overtures are available, at a highly inflated price (new) from amazon.co.uk. or downloadable (CD rate) at a somewhat more reasonable cost from, e.g., QOBUZ, who also offer streaming (for subscribers).

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      The complete symphonies, piano concertos, violin concerto (Szeryng) and 3 overtures are available, at a highly inflated price (new) from amazon.co.uk. or downloadable (CD rate) at a somewhat more reasonable cost from, e.g., QOBUZ, who also offer streaming (for subscribers).
      The Amazon listing is all i could find on CD. If Decca no longer want it in their catalogue it would make a superb Eloquence box.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

This arrived today, and listening too, now.

Frederick Delius
        Songs of Sunset
        An Arabesque
        (Dame Janet Baker, contralto, John Shirley-Quirk, baritone,
        Liverpool Philharmonic Choir
        Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra
        Sir Charles Groves)
        A Mass of Life
        (Heather Harper, mezzo-soprano,
        Helen Watts, contralto, Benjamin Luzon, baritone,
        London Philharmonic Choir and Orchestra)
        Sir Charles Groves.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Is the Scmidt-Isserstedt set still available? I can only find it on Amazon for those with very deep pockets. A candidate for reissue on Eloquence I would have thought.
          I have the Tower Records Japan SACD set which I have enthused about from time to time but even that is now difficult to come by (I think I bought it in Hong Kong but that was several years ago). I can only echo the suggestion that Eloquence look at reissuing it - glorious playing and performances which may be unshowy but which are thoughtful and somehow satisfying.

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

His recordings of the piano concertos with Backhaus are also worth seeking out.
            They are inluded in the symphony set - along with the violin concerto.... well worth the outlay, maybe.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Shostakovich. Violin Concerto No.1

Alina Ibragimova, violin. State Academic Symphony Orchestra of Russia ‘Evgeny Svetlanov’ conducted by Vladimir Jurowski. Hyperion.

We saw her play Prokofiev’s First Violin Concerto with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra last night in the Usher Hall. Sensational playing!

Comment

• Mario
                • Aug 2020

I assume we are allowed to give Youtube links to concerts? If so, then

BEETHOVEN L v

PC No 5 in Eb Maj “Emperor” Op 73

&

Bruckner A

S No 3 in D min WAB 103

VPO – Gulda F – Szell G (1966)

An Orchestra Concert of 1966 Wiener Festwochen on 5th June 1963 in Grossen Musikvereinssaal in Vienna.Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827):Piano Concerto No.5 in...

Mario

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                  I have enjoyed that cycle for many years. Yes - 7th is stunning, as is 9th. 'Pastoral' not really cutting the mustard. The rest; all pretty good, but outsanding in their field? Not quite, really. Solt's oeuvre with Chicago, is a fairly mixed bag (well - according to my collection which includes some of said oeuvre) but I gather it was the live concerts he created in the orchestra's home city that were real gems...
                  Another Decca cycle I love, is Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt, which I really give another airing.
                  yes, I remember the Choral as being pretty good, I remember enjoying it a lot more than the Szell/Cleveland recording which I also had back in the day (and better sound compared to the Toscanini that my parents had). And I agree that the Solti/Chicago legacy is a mixed bag on recordings, one reason tha tI had no difficulty refraining from purchasing the big megabox that was released. It's much easier to cherry pick downloads, since the individual recordings are no longer available on CD; maybe I'll do the Ninth

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Presto download of the Symphonies very good value, but does not includevany overtures.

Comment

• Mandryka
                        • Feb 2021

Hèctor Parra’s opera called Hypermusic Prologue - no idea what it’s about - it keeps making me think Jonathan Harvey’s Wagner Dreams. Still, it’s lovely music, whatever they’re on about!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Catching up, on all five programmes, of CoTW, the month long celebration of RVW!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Rossini
                            ‘Il barbiere di Siviglia’ comic opera in two acts
                            Maria Callas (Rosina), Tito Gobbi (Figaro), Luigi Alva (Almaviva),
                            Fritz Ollendorf (Bartolo), Nicola Zaccaria (Basilio),
                            Gabriella Carturan (Berta), Mario Carlin (Fiorello)
                            Philharmonia Orchestra & Chorus / Alceo Galliera
                            Recorded 1957, Kingsway Hall, London
                            Warner Classics ‘Maria Callas Remastered’ Series

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Having just stumbled across "Viktoria Mullova - 3 Classic Albums" in a pile of discs at the top of the stairs (don't ask), I thought I'd give the third disc in the set a spin (Stravinsky and Bartok 2nd concertos with the LAP and Salonen). So far, so pretty damned good. Very different from Pat Kop.
                              Last edited by Bryn; 14-05-22, 13:30. Reason: Typo (only noticed when Pulcinella quoted it).

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Having just stumbled across "Viktoria Mullova - 3 Classic Albums" in a pile of discs at the top of the stairs (don't ask), I thought I'd give the third disc in the set a spin (Stravinsky and Bartok 2nd concertos with the LAP and Salonen). So far, so pretty damned good. Very different for Pat Kop.
                                BaL 24.04.2021 winner:

Comment

Working...
                                X