Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Crumbs! I thought you'd been listening to "Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding" and wanted to hear Crooked Underwear or Rudi and the Nosepickers on AC
    Weren't they beloved of John Peel?

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    As always with these listings there is something I don't know and yet again it makes me wonder about why we can't have more of these lesser known works/composers(particularly the latter) scattered through the daytime schedules...
    Couldn't agree more. Serendipity, one of the many delights of TTN - along with the the presenters' contributions (so different from the day-time babble).

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
      Couldn't agree more. Serendipity, one of the many delights of TTN - along with the the presenters' contributions (so different from the day-time babble).
      Your listing prompted me to look up Chiel Meijering. Sounds as if, on the other hand, some of his works would also be suitable to slip into the late night listening of the Tearjerkers et al variety:

Although his over 1000 works are composed for conventional European classical instruments, Meijering has a fondness for outrageous titles. Some examples include "I Hate Mozart" (for flute, alto saxophone, harp and violin); "I've Never Seen a Straight Banana" (for alto saxophone, marimba, piano, harp, and violin); "If the Camels Don't Get You, the Fatimas Must!" (for solo violin); and "Background-Music for Non-Entertainment Use in Order to Cover Unwanted Noise" (for four saxophones).

The TTN piece (which wasn't on R3) sounded positively … classical in comparison!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Your listing prompted me to look up Chiel Meijering. Sounds as if, on the other hand, some of his works would also be suitable to slip into the late night listening of the Tearjerkers et al variety:

Although his over 1000 works are composed for conventional European classical instruments, Meijering has a fondness for outrageous titles. Some examples include "I Hate Mozart" (for flute, alto saxophone, harp and violin); "I've Never Seen a Straight Banana" (for alto saxophone, marimba, piano, harp, and violin); "If the Camels Don't Get You, the Fatimas Must!" (for solo violin); and "Background-Music for Non-Entertainment Use in Order to Cover Unwanted Noise" (for four saxophones).

The TTN piece (which wasn't on R3) sounded positively … classical in comparison!
        Thank you FF - I think.
        Just listened to "La vengeance d'une femme" - apart from the grunting near the end, it wasn't too outrageous (and I didn't instantly reach for the stop button.)

Unfortunately, following your link I now know that he also wrote:
        "A fart in a blizzard", "A hippopotamus on Nova Zembla", "A lonely man and his zipper", "The growth of bodyhair" & "I like rats, but I don’t like Haydn" - all of which I was blissfully unaware of.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Thank you FF - I think.
          Double

Me and the saxophone a bit like Mozart and the flute (allegedly), but the violin pieces (preferably minus grunt) might be all right.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Double

Me and the saxophone a bit like Mozart and the flute (allegedly), but the violin pieces (preferably minus grunt) might be all right.
            Grunts and other extraneous human noise feature across the performed repertoire, including core R3, although admittedly mostly not written in the score. It's one of the drawbacks of string and keyboard instruments that their playing doesn't preclude vocalisation. There have been occasions when I've used the off switch during string quartet and solo cello broadcasts due to the prominent demonstration (possibly aided and abetted by sound engineers) that it is humans playing, in a way that isn't the same as being in a concert venue. But's that just me, it doesn't seem to bother others.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
              Host
              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              Grunts and other extraneous human noise feature across the performed repertoire, including core R3, although admittedly mostly not written in the score. It's one of the drawbacks of string and keyboard instruments that their playing doesn't preclude vocalisation. There have been occasions when I've used the off switch during string quartet and solo cello broadcasts due to the prominent demonstration (possibly aided and abetted by sound engineers) that it is humans playing, in a way that isn't the same as being in a concert venue. But's that just me, it doesn't seem to bother others.
              Yes, it can be very annoying. Although for Glenn Gould it's almost part of the peformance.

I suspect that, in this case, the grunts / groans / outbursts were on the original score Some part of a Medean* revenge, perhaps?
              They occur on this YouTube video ~4:53 & 5:00; and ~5:43:57 & 5:44:05 on the Swedish Notturno

* I believe it was Michael Flanders, or possibly Donald Swann, that began this trend with "Have some madeira, Medea".
              Last edited by AuntDaisy; 19-02-22, 15:16.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Here's what we missed today; available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. Swedish radio

01:01 Grzegorz Gerwazy Gorczycki; Conductus funebris; Aldona Bartnik (soprano), Agnieszka Ryman (soprano), Matthew Venner (counter tenor), Maciej Gocman (tenor), Tomas Kral (bass), Jaromír Nosek (bass), Period Instruments Ensemble, Andrzej Kosendiak (director)
                01:18 Johann Sebastian Bach; Partita No.1 in B flat major (BWV 825); Anton Dikov (piano)
                01:37 Eduard Tubin; Sonata for Violin and Piano in the Phrygian Mode; Ulrika Kristian (violin), Marje Lohuaru (piano)
                01:59 Robert Schumann; Nachtlied; Bavarian Radio Chorus, Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Katowice, Alexander Liebreich (conductor)
                02:09 Othmar Schoeck; Sommernacht (Summer Night): pastoral intermezzo for string orchestra (Op.58); Camerata Bern
                02:21 Maurice Ravel; Jeux d'Eau; Anastasia Vorotnaya (piano)
                02:27 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Mentre ti lascio, o figlia - aria for bass and orchestra (K.513); Robert Holl (bass), Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra, Kenneth Montgomery (conductor)
                02:35 Georg Philipp Telemann; Flute Concerto in D major; Wilbert Hazelzet (flute), Musica Antiqua Koln, Reinhard Goebel (conductor)
                02:47 Niccolo Paganini; Sonata for violin and guitar in C major, Op 64 No 3; Andrea Sestakova (violin), Alois Mensik (guitar)
                02:52 Fryderyk Chopin; Ballade no 3 in A flat major, Op 47; Nelson Goerner (piano)
                Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ary%202022.pdf

Gorczycki's Conductus funebris seems very poignant & new to me.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Here's what we missed this morning - available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. on Swedish radio

01:01 Francis Poulenc; Figure humaine - cantata for double chorus; Danish National Radio Choir, Stefan Parkman (conductor)
                  01:19 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Piano Sonata in B flat major (K.570) (1789); Vikingur Olafsson (piano)
                  01:39 Georg Philipp Telemann; Suite in G major, TWV.55:G2, 'La Bizarre'; B'Rock, Jurgen Gross (conductor)
                  01:57 Georges Auric, Philip Lane (arranger); Suite from "Passport to Pimlico"; BBC Philharmonic, Rumon Gamba (conductor)
                  02:04 Johann Schenck; Sonata in F sharp minor, Op 9 No 3; Berliner Konzert
                  02:20 Frano Matusic; Two Croatian Folksongs; Dubrovnik Guitar Trio
                  02:27 Henry Purcell; Five works; Anders J. Dahlin (tenor), Les Ambassadeurs, Alexis Kossenko (director)
                  02:40 Einojuhani Rautavaara; Regular Sets of Elements for orchestra, Op 60; Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Esa-Pekka Salonen (conductor)
                  02:53 Nicolas Gombert; Agnus Dei from Missa tempore paschali for 6 voices (1564); Huelgas Ensemble, Paul van Nevel (conductor)
                  Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...rch%202022.pdf

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Here's what we missed this morning - available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. on Swedish radio

01:01 Francis Poulenc; Figure humaine - cantata for double chorus; Danish National Radio Choir, Stefan Parkman (conductor)
                    01:19 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Piano Sonata in B flat major (K.570) (1789); Vikingur Olafsson (piano)
                    01:39 Georg Philipp Telemann; Suite in G major, TWV.55:G2, 'La Bizarre'; B'Rock, Jurgen Gross (conductor)
                    01:57 Georges Auric, Philip Lane (arranger); Suite from "Passport to Pimlico"; BBC Philharmonic, Rumon Gamba (conductor)
                    02:04 Johann Schenck; Sonata in F sharp minor, Op 9 No 3; Berliner Konzert
                    02:20 Frano Matusic; Two Croatian Folksongs; Dubrovnik Guitar Trio
                    02:27 Henry Purcell; Five works; Anders J. Dahlin (tenor), Les Ambassadeurs, Alexis Kossenko (director)
                    02:40 Einojuhani Rautavaara; Regular Sets of Elements for orchestra, Op 60; Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Esa-Pekka Salonen (conductor)
                    02:53 Nicolas Gombert; Agnus Dei from Missa tempore paschali for 6 voices (1564); Huelgas Ensemble, Paul van Nevel (conductor)
                    Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...rch%202022.pdf
                    Shame!!!

"Figure Humaine" is a beautiful moving work. And ironically, keeping to the French theme, Les Six one-time member Georges Auric's music to "Passport to Pimlico", one of my most loved films, couldn't have been more French in character, given the movie's theme. They knew how to compose subtly appropriately for films here in those days, Auric was arguably the mainstay at Ealing in the late 40s and early 50s, and not just for the comedies.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Shame!!!

"Figure Humaine" is a beautiful moving work. And ironically, keeping to the French theme, Les Six one-time member Georges Auric's music to "Passport to Pimlico", one of my most loved films, couldn't have been more French in character, given the movie's theme. They knew how to compose subtly appropriately for films here in those days, Auric was arguably the mainstay at Ealing in the late 40s and early 50s, and not just for the comedies.
                      Philip Lane is listed as arranger but I wonder if that is more to do with his work on reconstructing film scores which I've just read about on Wiki? He was very much part of the musical life of Gloucestershire when I was growing up but I didn't know about the film score side of his work later on.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                        Host
                        • Jun 2018

Shame!!!

I enjoyed the Poulenc (which surprised me) and the Auric was excellent. The Telemann & Gombert were my favourites of the stolen two hours.

Talking of French music, this morning's Breakfast La Grenouille raised a smile, following on from Telemann's 'The Frog' extract.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Shame!!!

Passport to Pimlico about to start on Sky Arts.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Passport to Pimlico about to start on Sky Arts.
                            Shame about the ads, though. Seems a better higher resolution transfer than my commercial DVD. Wish I'd set it to record.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

Nothing says Mothering Sunday like Schoenberg’s "Verklärte Nacht"

In addition to the usual 2 hour Saturday attrition, Auntie is replacing TTN on Sunday March 27th with the After Dark Festival.
                              Can't wait for the "radical reinterpretation of Bach's Goldberg Variations for piano and live electronics" - just what it's always needed.
                              After Dark Festival: Deep Night Tracks
                              Sun 27 Mar 2022 02:00 BBC Radio 3

Sara Mohr-Pietsch and Hannah Peel host an immersive overnight event recorded live at Radio 3's After Dark Festival at Sage Gateshead.

Live performances include a special collaboration between multi-instrumentalist Memotone and his father, the nature writer Chris Yates, who take us on a night walk through moonlit forests and nocturnal landscapes. Manchester Collective perform music spanning 900 years from Hildegard of Bingen to Edmund Finnis, including Arnold Schoenberg’s luminous ‘Transfigured Night’ and Newcastle-based electronic folk innovator Jayne Dent aka Me Lost Me captures the nocturnal atmosphere with original songs and reworkings of traditional ballads. Plus pianist Xenia Pestova Bennett and composer Ed Bennett invite us to get lost in meditative music by Egidija Medeksaite and Gayle Young, as well as original pieces and a radical reinterpretation of Bach's Goldberg Variations for piano and live electronics.

As dawn approaches, the sound artist and beatboxer Jason Singh presents an evocative soundscape of real, manipulated and vocalised “dawn chorus” birdsong, followed by the Leeds-based sitarist Jasdeep Singh Degun, who welcomes the new day with a traditional north Indian dawn raag.

Part of Radio 3’s After Dark Festival, a major new live music festival for 2022 in partnership with Sage Gateshead and TUSK Music, featuring some of the biggest names in contemporary, classical and experimental music. For all related content, search “After Dark Festival” on BBC Sounds.
                              After Dark Festival: Freeness
                              Sun 27 Mar 2022 00:00 BBC Radio 3

Corey Mwamba presents live music highlights from Radio 3’s After Dark Festival, a major new live music festival for 2022 in partnership with Sage Gateshead and TUSK Music, featuring some of the biggest names in contemporary, classical and experimental music.

Corey opens the show with a selection from saxophonist Chelsea Carmichael and guitarist Niko Ziarkas’ atmospheric sunset set, recorded at dusk on the concourse of Sage Gateshead. He then presents highlights from a late night improv session, featuring a scorching set of high energy and heavy riffs from the sax-drums duo Run Logan Run. Plus freely improvised one-off collaborations between musicians at the festival including Andrew and Matt from Run Logan Run, the Newcastle-based turntablist Mariam Rezaei, vocalist Lauren Kinsella and Dan Nicholls on keys.

For all related content, search “After Dark Festival” in BBC Sounds.
                              ​​
                              Produced by Rebecca Gaskell
                              A Reduced Listening production for BBC Radio 3
                              With Manchester Collective, Xenia Pestova Bennett and Ed Bennett, Jasdeep Singh Degun.

Corey Mwamba presents live music highlights from Run Logan Run and Chelsea Carmichael.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Nothing says Mothering Sunday like Schoenberg’s "Verklärte Nacht"

In addition to the usual 2 hour Saturday attrition, Auntie is replacing TTN on Sunday March 27th with the After Dark Festival.
                                Can't wait for the "radical reinterpretation of Bach's Goldberg Variations for piano and live electronics" - just what it's always needed.

With Manchester Collective, Xenia Pestova Bennett and Ed Bennett, Jasdeep Singh Degun.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0015ly9
                                Well we've already been treated to this
                                Johann Sebastian Bach
                                Goldberg Variations, BWV 988 - Part 1Performer: Jörg Achim Keller. Music Arranger: Bill Dobbins.
                                on yesterday's Afternoon Concert, so I'm sure it'll be fine...
                                Re Mothers' Day I remember some years ago considerable criticism of the films being presented for viewing - mostly "action" movies. One, somewhat exasperated, suggestion was that it was to keep the men occupied while the women and children went out and did their duty/treated themselves!

Comment

Working...
                                X