• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Schiff’s Brahms Concertos: Archetypal classics

Brahms Piano Concertos Nos. 1 and 2. Andras Schiff/OAE. ECM New Series CD//24/96.

Oddly enough, despite being so moved, so in awe of it, I found it quite difficult to find the words, to try to describe this recording.
    Why? Because it seems so fresh and new, yet so quintessentially Brahmsian, that to pick out detail or idiosyncrasy (very few of the latter, though they are there…) felt inappropriate or even impossible.
    Rarely does one come across recordings of familiar masterpieces that seem to express the music so completely as this one does, neither understated nor overstated, yet never remotely dull or polite. Which is why one possible word for it is: Archetypal.

That Brahmsian passion is there: the storm, the lament, the elegy, the final release of No.1 is there; the exultant levity, the gracious dance, the (subversively) impassioned scherzo, the regret recollected in tranquillity, and the wit of No.2 is there; those Brahmsian sonorities of blended yet colourful winds against or with, the strings; the brass rounding out at climactic moments, emotionally and texturally fulfilling; the wonderfully musical, meaningful audibility of the piano itself, especially in moments of accompaniment as the finale of the B Flat.

So what else is it that makes this release a distinctive achievement worth celebrating?
    Partly the sonorities of the period instruments, so effortlessly agile and expressive, their textural and rhythmical clarity so clear and colourful; partly the Blüthner piano itself, with its singing, ringing tone and such wide-ranging address under Schiff’s fingers. So grandeur and power, yes, but an utter lack of rhetorical exaggeration or textural heaviness.

But beyond all of this - an authority; a great and lasting statement of what these works mean to so many of us; to so many listeners through the decades, the centuries since they were written. Their emotional gamut from tragedy to triumph, from elegy to lightheartedness, on loud or gentle waves of melody, rhythm and texture.

So I come back to that idea: an Archetype of all that Brahms means and has meant, for so long, to me, and so many others. As if these performances had always been there, timelessly, hidden in the raw block of marble before the sculptor begins…

Recorded sound is impeccable, very naturally balanced - as good as I’ve heard off CD or a 24/96 stream.

All comments welcome as ever - perhaps even more interesting from anyone who had reservations….

• Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Yes it’s great isn’t it. I have a Blüthner (not full size ) about 60 years younger than the one played by Schiiff and the bass is so rich. When I heard the opening D minor solo I recognised the sound immediately. Always wondered whether Brahms played one - kind of made for his music really (and Schumann).

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

I can't really add much to what I have already commented re these musician's Brahms performances and recordings than I have in other threads here. I would just add that I would very much welcome Schiff and the OAE recording the Schumann works performed at the same concerts as the Brahms Piano Concertos. Those concerts highlighted the different attitudes of the two friends towards the horn.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Your review encouraged me to listen again to the only recording I have of these works - Arrau with the Royal Concertgebouw under Bernard Haitink. After listening to the Opus 15, I can do no better than quote from the liner notes:
        Luister: "... Kaum ein Pianist hat den ganzen Bannkreis des Werkes jemals so ehrerbietend mitgeteilt ... die Technik ist stupend"
        Diapason:
        "Splendeur majestueuse..."
        This formed the third part of what has proved to be a most enjoyable 'Saturday Evening Alternative' which began with Alan Bennett's 'An Englishman Abroad' with Penelope Wilton and Michael Gambon on Radio 4 Extra, followed by Wallace and Gromit's Grand Day Out, and will conclude with a couple of chapters of Claire Tomalin's biography of Thomas Hardy.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

The Arrau set has the added advantage of fine performances of the 'Haydn' Variations and the Tragic and Academic Festival Overtures.
          Harriet Smith's top BaL recommendation for the 1st Piano Concerto was Freire/Chailly/Leipzig Gewandhaus.

Comment

• silvestrione
            • Jan 2011

Have not tried No 1 yet, but my reservations would be, at that speed the slow movement feels lightweight (in wrong sense), does not have that rapt quality it has at best. And then, a surprise, I thought the last movement, of No 2, a little staid, too slow, I wanted to push the music on. Lovely playing from Schiff later in the movement notwithstanding.

(I am afraid I am not interested in the argument that 'that is the tempo Brahms asked for')

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              The Arrau set has the added advantage of fine performances of the 'Haydn' Variations and the Tragic and Academic Festival Overtures.
              Harriet Smith's top BaL recommendation for the 1st Piano Concerto was Freire/Chailly/Leipzig Gewandhaus.
              The Freire is a very overrated recording in my opinion. I think Richard Osborne was later to say the Freire sounded less impressive every time you hear it and I agree . The classic Brahms 1s for me are Curzon,Gilels and Kovacevich with Sawallisch though I love lots of recordings including Arraus with Giulini and Haitink.

Schiff now eagerly awaited in the post.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                The Freire is a very overrated recording in my opinion. I think Richard Osborne was later to say the Freire sounded less impressive every time you hear it and I agree . The classic Brahms 1s for me are Curzon,Gilels and Kovacevich with Sawallisch though I love lots of recordings including Arraus with Giulini and Haitink.

Schiff now eagerly awaited in the post.
                I haven't heard the Freire, which I mentioned for information purposes only.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

My first experience of the Brahms First concerto was Roger Woodward with Kurt Masur with the ? Philharmonia Orchestra on RCA. Sadly, it’s never been released on cd.

My discs of the Schiff have just arrived and I’m listening to the Second Concerto. I’ve only heard it through my headphones connected to my mobile ‘phone so it’s great to hear it through the big system. I’m hearing so much detail that I’ve never heard before. The piano sound is taking a bit of getting used to but it’s so different from the way I’m used to hearing these works.

Interestingly, for me at least, Schiff talks about playing both concertos at the Edinburgh Festival with the Philharmonia under Kurt Masur. Iirc, it was 1995 and I remember the Usher Hall being absolutely packed. (I do remember speaking to the leader, Hugh Bean, who must have been nearing the end of his illustrious career. We shook hands and I remember thinking about the artists who must have shaken hands with him!)

I agree that hearing Schiff and the OAE play the Schumann concerto could be superb.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

My copy arrived today, too, and I've just finished listening.

It took me a long time to appreciate Brahms and even longer to fully comprehend the two Piano Concertos. Moreover, I'm not exactly the biggest HIPP fan in the world to put it mildly and I've already got numerous accounts of both concertos on my shelves. However, these performances are a triumph for all concerned and an absolute revelation to a listener like me who approached with caution. It took a few moments to adjust to the piano sound but I quickly got used to it and was struck by how much detail came out in the playing.

I don't get many new recordings nowadays but glad I took the plunge with this. Must be up for a Recording of the Year award I should have thought.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bella Kemp
                      • Aug 2014

I am, as ever, enriched by your perception Jayne and I look forward to hearing this recording. Thank you.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

I was very impressed by the performance of the finale of Brahms's 2nd piano concerto - beautifully recorded and played - which Hannah has just included on 'Breakfast'. It turned out to be John Lill with the Halle, conducted by James Loughran, who's 90 today!

Comment

• Sir Velo
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
                          I am, as ever, enriched by your perception Jayne and I look forward to hearing this recording. Thank you.
                          We are all in Jayne's debt!

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                            Have not tried No 1 yet, but my reservations would be, at that speed the slow movement feels lightweight (in wrong sense), does not have that rapt quality it has at best. And then, a surprise, I thought the last movement, of No 2, a little staid, too slow, I wanted to push the music on. Lovely playing from Schiff later in the movement notwithstanding.

(I am afraid I am not interested in the argument that 'that is the tempo Brahms asked for')
                            How about the pitches he asked for, are they open to being ignored, too?

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              How about the pitches he asked for, are they open to being ignored, too?

Comment

Working...
                              X