X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    It was the Hofkapelle Stuttgart, not the BRSO.
    I thought I may have got that wrong! Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

• visualnickmos
      • Nov 2010

.... but it was Sony?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

I missed the programme and haven't listened to this work for ages but I always liked JEG's recording. However when it comes to Mozart I generally favour Harnoncourt, so I've lined up his complete Mozart choral works for investigation, something I've wanted to listen to for a long time without ever getting around to it. Was his recording mentioned in the programme at all?

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
          .... but it was Sony?
          Mozart: Mass in C minor, K427 'Great'. Carus: CAR83284. Buy CD or download online. Sarah Wegener (soprano), Sophie Harmsen (mezzo-soprano), Colin Balzer (tenor), Felix Rathgeber (bass) Kammerchor Stuttgart, Hofkapelle Stuttgart, Frieder Bernius

or for those with a QOBUZ subscription, https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/mo.../4009350832848

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Darloboy View Post
            Last time out, in June 96, Anthony Burton made no fewer than 6 recommendations … Perhaps surprising that Sir Colin Davis didn’t feature amongst so many recommendations.

Suzuki’s 2017 Gramophone Award winner must be a contender this time round.
            Well tipped, Darlo.

I grew up with the young Colin Davis's Mozart some 50, even 60, years ago, and loved it. But listening again to his recording of this Mass: like wading through mud.

Comment

• visualnickmos
              • Nov 2010

Thanks, again.

Comment

• CallMePaul
                • Jan 2014

I see that the Hogwood (which I preferred to the Suzuki, at least in the excerpts chosen) is a Presto CD only, so presumably has been deleted by Decca. Perhaps reviewers should do their homework on availability before including a recording in their shortlists?
                Having never bought a Presto CD, are these playable on any CD player and do they have the same booklet/ texts/ translations as the originals?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                  I see that the Hogwood (which I preferred to the Suzuki, at least in the excerpts chosen) is a Presto CD only, so presumably has been deleted by Decca. Perhaps reviewers should do their homework on availability before including a recording in their shortlists?
                  Having never bought a Presto CD, are these playable on any CD player and do they have the same booklet/ texts/ translations as the originals?
                  I'm pretty sure that they are, but if you're not that bothered about the original booklet (and get in quick) you might just find that this reissue suits:

PS: This is what Presto say about their own CDs.

Presto CD

Presto CDs are manufactured by Presto Classical under license from the original record label.

Full booklets and inlays are sourced from digital files supplied by the label and produce a very high quality finish. Combined with the thermal full colour printed silver dye CD-R, using audio sourced from the original factory DDP files, the result is a finished product almost indistinguishable from the original factory-pressed version.

Presto CDs are playable on all standard CD players.
                  Last edited by Pulcinella; 27-09-20, 20:25. Reason: PS added: Information about Presto CDs.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

As mentioned earlier, it is in the L'Oiseau-Lyre Classical and Early Romantic boxed set. It was also re-issued as a Classic FM "Whole Works" disc and can be downloaded in lossless format from QOBUZ for £6.99: https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/mo.../0002894820354

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

You can still get some cheaply priced second hand versions of the original disc on Amazon France:

...from as little as 6 euros.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                        I missed the programme and haven't listened to this work for ages but I always liked JEG's recording. However when it comes to Mozart I generally favour Harnoncourt, so I've lined up his complete Mozart choral works for investigation, something I've wanted to listen to for a long time without ever getting around to it. Was his recording mentioned in the programme at all?
                        Since nobody answered I thought I'd have a listen to it this morning to hear for myself. Unfortunately, like many others of NH's choral recordings, the choral singing is much too "operatic" for my liking, sitting rather uneasily with the more HIPP tones of the orchestra, and generally much too large-scale for Mozart. For what it's worth. JEG is a breath of fresh air after that.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Since nobody answered I thought I'd have a listen to it this morning to hear for myself. Unfortunately, like many others of NH's choral recordings, the choral singing is much too "operatic" for my liking, sitting rather uneasily with the more HIPP tones of the orchestra, and generally much too large-scale for Mozart. For what it's worth. JEG is a breath of fresh air after that.
                          As it goes, I have it running right now ( actually just finished as I write) after your mention, and yes, I pretty much agree with you. I was even more disappointed with the Nicol Matt /CCE recording ( a combo that I usually enjoy) which I listened to last night, as much for the sound as anything.
                          I'll have to try jeggers now.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                            Worth bearing in mind if going for second hand Hogwood that the classic fm disc linked to above also has Coronation Mass. I have that original Decca disc with the dove's wing cover which has with no filler, so does not give best value at only 51 mins.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Just an update/reminder of #4......

There is an excellent recent release of the C Minor Mass from the ​Musiciens du Louvre/Marc Minkowski (you'd expect nothing beneath excellence from this source) of the Helmut Eder Edition published in 1985 in the New Mozart Edition.
                              Sadly marred by brief editing glitches as Threasher pointed out (G. 9/2020), but the minimal vocal resources are strikingly effective, and it is very well worth hearing.

It is an outstandingly vital recording of a work I'm fond of(**), and the two very small (!) glitches may well be put right in streams or downloads soon...
                              ...right up there in the top group otherwise.
                              "Minimal vocal resources" perhaps, but no lack of power or impact - if anything, given the SQ, vocal & instrumental clarity and the ideal acoustic, very much the reverse...
                              Hearing the qui tollis again now (24/96 QP), still aware of the little jump, but not sure I agree with the excellent Threasher about the sonic change after it.... I feel it is more a case of the music climaxing in that passage, as the pps after it sound similar to the earlier... hmm.....certainly inspires close listening, which this new reading truly deserves... hope for other views here soon.

Listen to Marc Minkowski in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

(**) ...​started with the Karajan LP on its release (lovely angelic blue cover, later on the various CDs...) but travelled far.....back to Fricsay, then forward to Bolton and the Mozarteum (Orfeo, St. Peters live)... haven't heard the latter for years but recall it with a glow...
                              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 28-09-20, 16:36.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Harnoncourt... Was his recording mentioned in the programme at all?

Caught up with the programme this morning: no reference to NH that I can recall.

The Minkowski for which Jayne advocates was summarily dismissed in the preamble chat as “not really a contender”...
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X