• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

To cavatina: an apology

Deleted on request of postee
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 28-08-11, 14:04. Reason: unintended misunderstanding
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    In my Message #93 on the now-closed "Trashed sublimity - The Heptonstall - Derham problem", I made reference to two research documents posted earlier by cavatina, offering evidence of previous work undertaken by her on behalf of arts fuinding in the voluntary sector in the United States.

In reading the two documents I passed over the list of acknowedgements halfway through the first document in my concentration on the remainder of the text. I wish now to apologise to cavatina for any slur on her implied in my Message #93, as well as to other boredees who may not have read these two documents, and for any unnecessary confusion or upset I have caused.

S-A
    Ah HA! The eponymous Apology!

Reminds me of the Python sketch about Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson*....

S-A, are you in fact intending to make a series of apologies? To bring you in line with your epithet?

*More Television Interviews/Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson

Hosts: Eric Idle, John Cleese
    Arthur Jackson: Terry Jones

Host: Last week the Royal Festival Hall saw the first performance of a new symphony by one of the world's leading modern composers, Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson. Mr Jackson.

Jackson: Hello.

Host: May I just sidetrack for one moment. This -- what shall I call it -- nickname of yours...

Jackson: Ah yes.

Host: "Two Sheds". How did you come by it?

Jackson: Well, I don't use it myself, but some of my friends call me "Two Sheds".

Host: And do you in fact have two sheds?

Jackson: No, I've only got one. I've had one for some time, but a few years ago I said I was thinking of getting another, and since then some people have called me "Two Sheds".

Host: In spite of the fact that you only have one.

Jackson: Yes.

Host: And are you still intending to purchase this second shed?

Jackson: (impatient) No!

Host: ...To bring you in line with your epithet?

&c &c
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• PatrickOD

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I wish now to apologise to cavatina for any slur on her implied in my Message #93, as well as to other boredees who may not have read these two documents, and for any unnecessary confusion or upset I have caused.S-A
      I was going to wait until cavatina replied, S_A, but, since the thread has already been breached, I'll say what I wanted to say - Good on you S_A; you're a gentleman. I don't believe you intended a slur.

Comment

• cavatina

Thank you very much for that; apology accepted. Onward and upward!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Comment

• amateur51

Well done to both parties!

Comment

• PatrickOD

I have to ask this: where did message 7 go?
              Its disappearance makes nonsense of my own message 3.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

Message 1 has gone as well. Which surely makes a nonsense of the whole thread....
                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I think perhaps we could take the explanation given of 'unintended misunderstanding' and leave it there.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• PatrickOD

That 'explains' the disappearance of message 1, though it is quoted in full subsequently.
                    I'm still puzzled how the message after #6 and before #7, as is now, could have vanished without trace. I read it, but due to problems with my computer I have been unavailable for a couple of days. As I said, the missing message had a bearing on #3, which gave me pause for thought.

Comment

• PatrickOD

On reflection, I reckon it doesn't matter much. Best wishes to all.

Comment

Working...
                      X