• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
    That is quite an astonishing amount of work - many thanks .
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• CGR
      • Aug 2016

Very informative site this. No Berio , Dallipiccola , Nono. No complete Wozzeck or Lulu last year either though Berg was COTW . One piece of Stockhausen. Quite a bit of Adams and Glass though . Aren’t the first five generally thought to be more significant or have they gone out of fashion?
      The days when Radio 3 brought interesting modern/contemporary music to the listener at normal times of the day are long gone.

Dumbed-down, presenter-led 'shows' with lots of chat is all we seem to get these days. And from what I was reading in my paper earlier on today, the BBC is planning yet another round of dumbing-down. 'Relevance' for the ignorant youth market and all that malarkey.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

That is quite an astonishing amount of work - many thanks .
        Petroc and Georgia's daily 'Bach Before 7' probably helped him secure top spot.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Should anyone want any 2019 information on a particular composer, piece or programme I will attempt to oblige …..

Comment

• Andrew Slater
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Well presentation was not my strong point and hopefully someone can copy this and do a little magic and re-present,

These are the top 100 composers in terms of plays for 2019. To illustrate the data for each customer we will use RVW, topic of the thread thus far

This year he was played 335 times which put him in 23rd position and the total duration of those 335 plays was 50 hours, 42 minutes and 21 seconds. In last years report he was in 21st place with 365 plays so he had 30 less plays and fell 2 places.

Enjoy ….. well you know what I mean …….
            Many thanks for doing this - I will get round to putting a statistics option on the site, but it won't be immediate. I haven't done any work on the database for over a year, except to update the program which feeds the information to it, so it will take a bit of thinking about once I get round to it!

A note of caution: the data is obtained from the BBC playlists. The program takes the data in the early hours of each morning for the previous day. Usually, but not always, all of the playlists have been published for the day's broadcasts by then. Some playlists are never completed or in some cases don't even exist. R3 in Concert is a particular case in point, where I've noticed that sometimes the only entries in the playlist are from the interval or the fillers. I've not had the time or inclination to take the trouble to monitor this and manually update the database in these cases: that's where SC's database has the advantage - he does take the trouble.

So although the figures do give a useful general overview, please don't take them as gospel to the nearest broadcast or second

One other thing: I deliberately restricted the look-back to 400 days to keep data transfers down, but the database goes back much further (to 2014): just use an appropriate 'Latest date' on the entry form so that this and the 400 days will give the desired date coverage.

Alternatively, as I now think I can remove this restriction at the next revision, in the meantime if you prefix the number of days with 'xdr' (without the quotes, and no spaces), it should allow an extended date range - e.g. xdr1000 will look back nearly 3 years.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
              Many thanks for doing this - I will get round to putting a statistics option on the site, but it won't be immediate. I haven't done any work on the database for over a year, except to update the program which feeds the information to it, so it will take a bit of thinking about once I get round to it!

A note of caution: the data is obtained from the BBC playlists. The program takes the data in the early hours of each morning for the previous day. Usually, but not always, all of the playlists have been published for the day's broadcasts by then. Some playlists are never completed or in some cases don't even exist. R3 in Concert is a particular case in point, where I've noticed that sometimes the only entries in the playlist are from the interval or the fillers. I've not had the time or inclination to take the trouble to monitor this and manually update the database in these cases: that's where SC's database has the advantage - he does take the trouble.

So although the figures do give a useful general overview, please don't take them as gospel to the nearest broadcast or second

One other thing: I deliberately restricted the look-back to 400 days to keep data transfers down, but the database goes back much further (to 2014): just use an appropriate 'Latest date' on the entry form so that this and the 400 days will give the desired date coverage.

Alternatively, as I now think I can remove this restriction at the next revision, in the meantime if you prefix the number of days with 'xdr' (without the quotes, and no spaces), it should allow an extended date range - e.g. xdr1000 will look back nearly 3 years.
              Andrew - I am slightly behind the curve but if I read things correctly the aggregation site for all this is your work. I should therefore extend my sincere thanks for what is a remarkably useful site . It has already got me playing composer bingo : composers ( chiefly Italian Serialists ) with no 2019 hits at all. Seriously though a very welcome resource and clearly the fruit of much hard work.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                • Nov 2010

Apologies, the Survey is on its way, hopefully in about 2-3 weeks. My figures will certainly be rather different from Andrew's, for example Rachmaninov is nearer 400! There has been a real problem with mis-attributed composers on the playlists which is very confusing and the sheer number of chunks having multiplied to unprecedented highs, so the time it takes to put the survey together has increased considerably. Also the number of non classical pieces in normal classical slots has doubled in the last 10 years and reached unprecedented heights this year.

I've also spent too much time composing (for some reason), having completed a 20 minute Piano Trio, a 30 minute Symphony and an hour long Requiem for soloists, chorus & orchestra in the last 9 months!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Very good to hear from you, Suffy - welcome back!

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                  I've also spent too much time composing (for some reason), having completed a 20 minute Piano Trio, a 30 minute Symphony and an hour long Requiem for soloists, chorus & orchestra in the last 9 months!
                  Well, not quite the Caribbean beach I had imagined for you, but good to see, anyway!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                    • Mar 2007

Andrew - I am slightly behind the curve but if I read things correctly the aggregation site for all this is your work. I should therefore extend my sincere thanks for what is a remarkably useful site . It has already got me playing composer bingo : composers ( chiefly Italian Serialists ) with no 2019 hits at all. Seriously though a very welcome resource and clearly the fruit of much hard work.
                    I'm glad you find it useful.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                      • Mar 2007

Good to hear from you. I suspect the composing's more worthwhile than posting here!

Comment

• Edgy 2
                        • Jan 2019

Apologies, the Survey is on its way, hopefully in about 2-3 weeks. My figures will certainly be rather different from Andrew's, for example Rachmaninov is nearer 400! There has been a real problem with mis-attributed composers on the playlists which is very confusing and the sheer number of chunks having multiplied to unprecedented highs, so the time it takes to put the survey together has increased considerably. Also the number of non classical pieces in normal classical slots has doubled in the last 10 years and reached unprecedented heights this year.

very sad

Great to see you posting again suffy.
                        “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

To be fair, which is a totally new experience to me, the figures are more mine than Andrew’s who magically provided the raw material. The problem with Rachmaninov, and to a lesser extent Shostakovich, was a change the spelling of their full names by the BBC playlist compilers in, Andrew has found, April ...... one presumes they will spell Beethoven correctly throughout 2020 .......

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                            • Apr 2014

And bang on cue as I read this post again - The Summer Knows from Summer of 42 by Michel LeGrand on Sunday Morning. It’s all turning into Radio 2 ( as was ) a bit... don’t get me wrong I hugely admire M Le G and I’ve even got this Natalie Dessay album but it’s not terribly challenging is it ?

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

And bang on cue as I read this post again - The Summer Knows from Summer of 42 by Michel LeGrand on Sunday Morning. It’s all turning into Radio 2 ( as was ) a bit... don’t get me wrong I hugely admire M Le G and I’ve even got this Natalie Dessay album but it’s not terribly challenging is it ?
                              Or is it all turning into Classic FM a bit?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                                Or is it all turning into Classic FM a bit?
                                I think I am right in saying that under the terms of its licence Classic FM can only play classical music and not jazz. Natalie Dessay is a classical artist and this is effectively a crossover track so I suspect they could play this , but probably not Michel LeGrand playing jazz piano ( at which he was phenomenally gifted... )

Comment

Working...
                                X