X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
    Not a Breakfast listener, normally; too early for me!. However I did hear at around 8.45 this morning a piece called Orchestral Groupies with Shaved Heads. I found out the title after I had listened to and enjoyed immensely a humorous piece of writing with a musical theme. Maybe the shaved head wasn't so funny, but it was a sparkling short story all the same.

PS I see there are 6 more pieces in this series. I must listen some more.
    , me too. The Stravinsky one nearly had me off the road...

... very moving.

OG

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      That avatar must be a picture of you age 10 then...

... now hanging in the library, I presume.

OG

o, I wish...

Last edited by vinteuil; 15-06-17, 17:28.

Comment

• muzzer
        • Nov 2013

Georgia Mann this sticky morning, a cool voice in a febrile world. Marvellous.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Five mornings of Skelly next week (if Radio Times is to be believed)....

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

We are saved IMVVHO .....

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Yee-Haa!

Comment

• DaisyDog
                • Jun 2016

Gorgia in the morning? No thank you. Her voice is too dark for me and hard to follow. And if she's such a hot-shot radio producer/presenter she should know the difference between Poulenc and Dvorak, which this morning she didn't. Back of the class Miss Mann-Smith.

Comment

• Zucchini
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DaisyDog View Post
                  ... she should know the difference between Poulenc and Dvorak, which this morning she didn't.
                  What does that mean?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                    What does that mean?
                    I wondered that. Wasn't it Petroc this morning, GM-S yesterday?
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DaisyDog
                      • Jun 2016

Yes indeed, the Cornishman is back. The Georgia Mann was on the previous day, filling in I expect. She misattributed a piece by Poulenc to Dvorak. Probably by misreading the CD notes and not listening. Inexcusable for such an allegedly hotshot producer/presenter.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DaisyDog View Post
                        Yes indeed, the Cornishman is back. The Georgia Mann was on the previous day, filling in I expect. She misattributed a piece by Poulenc to Dvorak. Probably by misreading the CD notes and not listening. Inexcusable for such an allegedly hotshot producer/presenter.
                        Daisy - I think you must have dropped off for half an hour. She attributed the piece by Poulenc (Sonata for horn, trumpet and trombone) to Poulenc, before and after, and similarly a bit later announced and back announced the Dvořák (Serenade in D minor for wind instruments, Op 44) as being by Dvořák.

Georgia Mann presents Radio 3's classical breakfast show, featuring listener requests.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Daisy - I think you must have dropped off for half an hour. She attributed the piece by Poulenc (Sonata for horn, trumpet and trombone) to Poulenc, before and after, and similarly a bit later announced and back announced the Dvořák (Serenade in D minor for wind instruments, Op 44) as being by Dvořák.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08v8tm1
                          She'll never pick up and MBE for services to broadcasting and being a jolly nice chap by getting everything right........
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            She'll never pick up and MBE for services to broadcasting and being a jolly nice chap by getting everything right........
                            I think she got a bit confused in what she said after the Stravinsky violin concerto extract (Hilary Hahn as soloist), though. It was introduced correctly as the last movement, but later she called it Stravinsky's Capriccio (the title of that movement, admittedly, but also that of an entirely different piece). An excusable slip, but a slightly unfortunate one. But perhaps I dropped off or misheard too.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              I think she got a bit confused in what she said after the Stravinsky violin concerto extract (Hilary Hahn as soloist), though. It was introduced correctly as the last movement, but later she called it Stravinsky's Capriccio (the title of that movement, admittedly, but also that of an entirely different piece). An excusable slip, but a slightly unfortunate one. But perhaps I dropped off or misheard too.
                              Well - not really; if it had been the Finale of a Mozart Horn Concerto that she'd then referred to as "Mozart's Rondo", we wouldn't really call it "an excusable slip" would we?
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                Well - not really; if it had been the Finale of a Mozart Horn Concerto that she'd then referred to as "Mozart's Rondo", we wouldn't really call it "an excusable slip" would we?
                                True.
                                I should perhaps have said understandable not excusable: excusable in the sense that I could see how it happened.
                                (I enjoyed the extract very much too, not having heard that recording before, so maybe that put me in a good and forgiving mood. )

Comment

Working...
                                X