• Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Twenty-third on Alpie's list, Bbm.
    Apologies to EA! (Gawd!

Thanks, I obviously didn't go to Specsavers!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Had just started listening to the NYPO/Boulez version, included in the Sony Boulez Edition box, last night when the power tripped!
      Might try it again later, but perhaps someone is trying to tell me something.
      BaL Berg now.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Decided that the ornamentation in the Boulez version would be very annoying on repeated listening, but enjoyable nonetheless. Discovered a version of the Berg violin concerto I had overlooked in the big Boulez box: Zuckerman/LSO/Boulez; not sure if it got a mention. My listening was interrupted by the engineer arriving to investigative the power trips (not the boiler timer, though that was indeeed faulty, and has been replaced, leaving a hole to fill and some remedial painting to be done!): something amiss with the earthing system somewhere, one of his devices revealed.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Decided that the ornamentation in the Boulez version would be very annoying on repeated listening, but enjoyable nonetheless. Discovered a version of the Berg violin concerto I had overlooked in the big Boulez box: Zuckerman/LSO/Boulez; not sure if it got a mention. My listening was interrupted by the engineer arriving to investigative the power trips (not the boiler timer, though that was indeeed faulty, and has been replaced, leaving a hole to fill and some remedial painting to be done!): something amiss with the earthing system somewhere, one of his devices revealed.
          I made the mistake of getting the SACD transfer of the Boulez. Easily my least favourite recording of any Handel. Quite, quite ghastly.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I made the mistake of getting the SACD transfer of the Boulez. Easily my least favourite recording of any Handel. Quite, quite ghastly.
            Well, it should certainly come with a health warning! Its ghastliness did make me smile, though. Perhaps I should have said amusing instead of enjoyable.
            Not repertoire one associates with Boulez, so I wonder whose decision it was to make the recording: conductor, orchestra (orchestral management), or record company.
            And why they thought it a good idea, too.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Well, it should certainly come with a health warning! Its ghastliness did make me smile, though. Perhaps I should have said amusing instead of enjoyable.
              Not repertoire one associates with Boulez, so I wonder whose decision it was to make the recording: conductor, orchestra (orchestral management), or record company.
              And why they thought it a good idea, too.
              Your comments and Bryn's kindled my interests - just had to order a copy!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Your comments and Bryn's kindled my interests - just had to order a copy!
                Well I don't think we'll give you your money back if you're not delighted!
                You have been warned.
                :-)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Not repertoire one associates with Boulez,
                  He'll be performing The Nutcracker next.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Well I don't think we'll give you your money back if you're not delighted!
                    You have been warned.
                    :-)
                    At 19p plus p&p I'll not be too concerned!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

At 19p plus p&p I'll not be too concerned!
                      Do let us know what you think.
                      At that price, it can always become a coaster or bird scarer with no great loss.

Comment

• LaurieWatt
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                        There are (or have been) at least two other Mackerras recordings: a newer recording of the wind only version with the LSO for EMI (included on the in-house HMV label, on Seraphim in the US and on other reissues), and the wind/strings version on ECO for Novalis. Having said that, the 1959 Pye recording is still my favourite. Among more recent ones I've certainly enjoyed Hervé Nicquet.

Comment

• seabright
                          • Jan 2013

Intrigued by these references to a Boulez / NYPO "Fireworks" CD, it only took a moment to find some of the tracks on You Tube, so click the links below for audition purposes and possibly save some time and money, not least because it's all a bit dreary ...

a) Overture

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

b) Bourree

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

c) La Paix ...

d) La Rejouissance

e) Minuets 1 & 2

Not really Pierre's cup of tea, I fancy.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

For a full on old-style heavyweight version Kubelik BPO is very good.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

For a full on old-style heavyweight version Kubelik BPO is very good.
                              Surely "old-style" is the way they played it Handel's time. Or is that "very old style"?

Comment

• verismissimo
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                Surely "old-style" is the way they played it Handel's time. Or is that "very old style"?
                                Well that's half a century of research dealt with, Alpie...

Comment

Working...
                                X